Thanks very much for all the replies.  They have been most helpful and
we plan to use the reading log this year.  I would also like to attend a
Renaissance workshop.  Thanks again.

Pam Chowning
Ezell-Harding Christian High
pchowning@home.com

At my school, we require each child to write down the title of the book
they have read before they can test on that book. We use the log as a
pass to test, a method of record keeping for points earned, point goals
met, and a record of test scores.

At our school the reading log is optional, but teachers who use it are
verifying that the student has read the book (by checking the amount of
time
they have logged for that book) before they allow them to take the test.
If
you don't have some controls, some kids will readily take tests on books
they have not read. When they do poorly, the teacher has to account for
it.
Sometimes they ask us to take the tests off the students' records. Sound
familiar?
The reading log can also verify that students are reading at home.
This year we will be trying to ratchet our in-school AR time up to 60
minutes a day. This is getting tough, with all the other things on the
schedule.

The reading log is a way for you to keep track of what your students are
reading, and it also helps the students to keep track.  I think it
minimizes the cheating problem (but doesn't eliminate).  At our school,
each student has a folder with pockets and brads that is his/her AR
folder.  In it, we keep the Reading Log as well as ZPD range, etc.  The
students write in their reading logs each time they stop reading (in
Reading class, during reading period, at home, etc.).  It must be
initialed daily by the teacher or parent.  Also, our teachers write
require our students to have the log signed by their teacher in order to
take the AR test.  I hope I've answered some of your questions. If you
have a specific question, don't hesitate to ask.

Hi, Pam! Do you have a copy of their actual reading log from one of the
workshops? Before I had been to a workshop, I had no concept of exactly
what the reading log looked like, so when I started my kids off, I
actually
did the wrong kind of thing. Not wrong in that it didn't work, but wrong
in
that it was a lot more work than it needed to be.

First I'll tell you what I THOUGHT it was, then I'll explain what it
really is.
I thought is was the kind of log that lots of teachers have kids keep
while
reading a novel - sort of a reading diary - read a section of the book,
and
write about what happened how you felt about it, some predictions, etc.
This is what I had the kids do. It works well as a study guide for them.
You have to be careful to collect them, though, at test time, and
destroy
them. Otherwise kids will use them as cheat sheets to take the test
without
reading the book.

The real thing is just a simple list. The date, the title, Fiction or
Nonfiction, How many points possible, AR reading level, number of pages
read that day in class, number of pages read at home, date the test is
taken, and the test score. There is also a space for the teacher's
comments. This sheet needs to be used DAILY during whatever time the
teacher has set aside to monitor the class's reading. By looking at the
sheet the teacher can instantly assess several things:
        1. whether the book is in the child's "zone" (the right span of
levels)
        2. whether he is possibly skimming (too many pages read too
fast?)
        3. whether he's taking too long between reading and testing on
the book
        4. how many books he's completing

You can MOST of this info in other ways from AR reports, but this is
daily
and filled in by the child and the teacher, giving the teacher an
opportunity to talk to each one individually about their book and
comment
on what's happening so that remediation can be done as you go and not
left
til after the test.

The AR Reading Log is a way students keep up with (log) their reading
and AR
test scores.  It also provides a way for the teacher to monitor student
reading and progress.  The Reading Log is explained during a Reading
Renaissance workshop---which is a great workshop.

This a way to encourage individual accountability.
Each day the log is completed showing the pages read.
When new books are checked out the entry is complete with all
information.
When the book is tested the entry is once again completed with all info
including the test date and grade.
If a book is "abandoned" for what ever the reason ( too difficult,
boring,
too long, etc) the teacher can initial the entry to agree to allow
another
book to be selected.  If this pattern continues it is a flag for
assistance
in book selection.

The log can be evaluated as part of the participation grade and is
excellent
for parent conferences to indicate student success or othersize.

Logs may seem alot of trouble but the end result is worth the time taken
at
the beginning of the year to expect correct neat entries

The AR Log is vital to the importance of the program. Students write the
name
of the book, ZPD, the amount of minutes read, dates, teacher signature
and
some other information. It really keeps the students accountable for
what
they are reading and when. We have 60 minutes per day required reading.
So,
students should have at least 3 entries during each day. Then they are
required to read at home. Since we are doing it schoolwide, we have them
write their teacher's name on the top and write the author's name once.
When
the student wants to take an AR quiz, they must have the log (and their
ID).
They can then put the % right from the quiz. Hope this helps.

I use the reading logs in my 8th grade reading class.  After we check
out books, I have each student fill out their name, title, reading
level, and
points on the form.  After they fill these out, I take them up class by
class.  I put them in the same order as my seating charts.  Then, I use
the
reading logs as a way to check roll and collect page numbers every day.
When I call out a student's name, they call out their page number.  It
works really well for me.

Pam, the reading log is very important in helping you monitor the
progress
each student is making while reading a particular title. When they write
the page for beginning and ending each day, you see if they are enjoying
the book, find it too difficult, etc. In a book we got during our
training, there is a page with questions the teacher can use when
walking
around and monitoring the reading during the 30 minute SSR. Hope this
helps. Students also see their progress in terms of meeting their 6-week
goals,etc.