Dear Netters,
Thanks to all who replied to my query on laminators. Here is what I got from
you.
Barbara W. White
Hancock High Library
Kiln MS
barbaraw@datasync.com

We are loving our 25" GBC laminator.  Only have had it in
operation for a year, but so far it works like a dream -- quiet,
efficient, multi-speed, safety features, ...

******************
    I purchased our large laminator from USI and have had it now for almost
9 years.  Although I am a "guardian" of the machine, I feel that it has
survived a lot of rough treatment--considering I've gone through 2 copy
machines in the same time frame.  If you can't locate them online, I'll
forward the address and phone number of the company to you.  (I don't
remember the price, because it was purchased with a grant that I
received--which would not have been over $2500 at the time.)
*******************
We have a GNC (I think that's what it is) that we have had for about
seven or eight years now.  The only problem I have had in that time is a
fuse blew in it twice and I had to send it in to be repaired.  Wasn't any
big
problem.  It also has a button on the back where the laminating film comes
out where you can reverse roll if the film starts to backfeed.

The only other problem we have had is that there is one teacher whose stuff
sometimes seems not to laminate correctly.  Other peoples materials do
fine...but when we do hers...it has air pockets or doesn't seal well.  Think
it has something to do with the paper she uses or something....
**********************
I'm told there is only ONE company making laminators.
Our el. aid runs ours (and I can't think of the brand name), but she has
had nothing but trouble w it.  The school has bought a troubleshooting,
maintenance policy, so all of the times the repairman has been there, were
paid for.....
********************************
GBC Laminators last.  The only kind I've ever used...but nothing bad to say
about them.
**************************
I have had 2 laminators in my 16 years here. The first one was
inherited...I replaced it in 1987 with a GBC that is still going strong.
The only reason I may have to replace it is that GBC may no longer
support it for maintainence and parts! BUY THE SERVICE AGREEMENT! It
will save you money in the long run.
********************
If you do buy one:
    - keep it in an open space, not a small room
    - have ventilation - an overhead fan
    - wear a face mask

Plastic particulates are in the air and the Workers' Compensation Board
forced our school board to meet the above conditions.
***************
GBC

************************
We purchased the Ultima 65. We are happy with it. This is the 3rd
year.

***************

    I like the GBC (General Binding Corp.) laminators.  We've had ours
about 10 years and still going strong.

**************
I have a 25" wide USI roll laminator and love it.  I think it was purchased
in 92 or 93 and I have had very little trouble with it-think it was having
on/off switch replaced and my custodian did it.
***************
I have a USI roll laminator 25" I am very happy with it.

My wife who is an Elem. LMS has both a USI and a GBC 27" laminator.  She
finds that her teachers use them both heavily.  Good Luck
************
We have had the best luck with USI laminators.  They do have a reverse
for the times when teachers turn their backs and things get wrapped around
the rollers.  The 18 inch machines are good all-purpose machines.  You can
fold larger posters etc in half, slit on the edge and reverse and send
through again.  The worst machine we ever had was a Seal brand and it was a
beast.

Barbara W. White
Hancock High Library
Kiln MS