Thank you to all you submitted ideas.  As requested, I'm posting a list of
suggestions.  I apologize if I missed anyone.  Unlurking day filled my
mailbox (but it was fun to read all of the messages).

Ambrosian, Trinity (Dublin) or Vatican (-- from Main Tour
http://www.maintour.com/wtlibr1.htm suggested by Barb Engvall)
The Folger, Jefferson (oldest building of LOC) (--from Bob Laramee)
Huntington  (--from Cynthia Carr, Bob Laramee, Nancy Lyle)
Houghton (Harvard)(--from Janet Rawdon)
British Museum, Sterling or Beinecke (at Yale), Powell (at UCLA) (--from
George Pilling)
Enoch Pratt (Free Library in Baltimore, MD) (--from M.S. Preissner, Cynthia
Carr, Debbie Stafford, and Barb Seeley)
Boston  Public Library (BPL) (--from Terry Villemure)
Newberry Library  (--from Cynthia Carr)
LC or LBNF (to fit kids "initial craze"  or names of famous librarians
(--from Earl J.)
Dag_Hammarskjöld (United Nations Library) (-- from Monica Green)
UNOG (The Geneva UN Library) (-- from Monica Green)
Ideas through AskJeeves--Sunsite (Berkeley's Digital Library), OCLC (-- from
Monica Green)
Celsus (in Roman library in Turkey) (--from cmartz)
Beinecke (Yale)--from Mary Ziller's site list and Janet Rawdon)
IPL (Internet Public Library)

How about just bibliotheque for one and LC for one (Library of Congress).
Also, how about Dewey for one? (--from Beth Pounds

and a great site with many library names and brief identification (--from
Barb Engvall)
http://www.maintour.com/wtlibr1.htm

Several very interesting web links with pictures of libraries (--Mary Ziller
provided the following)
The folowing website may be helpful:

http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/cas/fnart/fa267/19library.html

It is a link of 19th century libraries on the Digital Archive of American
Architecture web page
http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/cas/fnart/fa267/library.html

I got to it by searching "famous libraries" in altavista.com
and clicking on a Planning and Building Libraries link

which brought me to the Planning and Building Libraries site at
http://www.slais.ubc.ca/architecture/index.html

A link in the left frame takes one to the Famous Libraries web page at
http://www.slais.ubc.ca/architecture/Famous.html

Under the category historical libraries is a link to the Digital Archive of
American Architecture page.
http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/cas/fnart/fa267/19library.html

and from Debbie Stafford: "I looked in a book that I have, Whole Library
Handbook."
"Persian vixier Abdul Kassem Ismail (938-995) traveled with 400 camels that
bore his 117,000 volume library everywhere he went.  the animals were
trained to walk in an order that ensured the books' alphabetical
arrangement.  Source   Adlibs, June 1990, Metropolitan Library System of
Oklahome"   page 481

Carolyn Karis
Urban School of San Francisco
1563 Page Street