Here are some of the great ideas I received from this listserve on bulletin
boards for the new school year:

The Media Center welcome back display for this year says - Welcome Back
From All Of Us !!!  I displayed pictures of the faculty/staff taken on
our first day of pre-planning.  I took them to Wolf for 1 hour
developing.  The display also has a miniature locker, a stuffed lion
(our mascot) holding a welcome back balloon, streamers made from curling
ribbon and confetti for a party atmosphere.  The principal liked it so
much he asked me to do a similar bulletin board on the first floor at
the school entrance.  I glad I get double prints for free.

Here's the one I put up today -- A big lighthouse, caption above Look Out --
Great Year Ahead -- and then a bunch of little boats with dates and events
that are library related.  Looks great, was easy to do.

Hi, I am trying to start the year out on the right foot. Hee hee.
My bulletin boards all have a foot/shoe theme.....Take a step in the
reading direction. Readers are shoe-ins for success. I found material at
Wal-mart with horse shoes on it and put paper horseshoes, baby booties, an
old pair from my sons and edged the entire board in shoelaces that I tied
in knots. I found stickers, multiculturally colored footprints, and rubber
stamps at the Parent-Teacher Store. Students will all receive a bookmark
with 10 footprints on them. As they pass Accelerated Reader tests, they get
to stamp a footprint. When they have reached the star at the top of the
path, they will draw from the treasure box.

We cme to the conclusion that the time and work that went into making
"pretty" bulletin boards was better spent going into involvement bulletin
boards.  These were usually integrated with a grade level or classroom
curricular aim.    Teachers incorporated them into their classroom
activities. And they were eye catching and "pretty" as well as learning
based.

Chapter 3 in Motivation and the School Library Media Teacher published by
Library Professional Publications l988 could explain what I am talking
about.  ILL should turn up a copy for you.

Thanks for the ideas! I also checked the archive for this listserve and
found many  more ideas. BTW, what is the term ILL above referring to?

Cindy Paulson, LMS
North Marion Middle and High School
Aurora, OR
paulsons@onlinemac.com