Thanks to all of you who responded.  I received an interesting mix of opinions.

Janet Foster, Librarian
Aumsville Elementary
Aumsville, OR
fosterj@open.org

We've had a video collection for students (grades 1-5) for the past 5 years
or so.  It's on loan from our local BOCES.  The kids LOVE it!  Some of them
come in every day and sometimes it even entices them to take a BOOK!  (G)
It's been very successful, though.... and I am very happy with the program.
Why NOT videos?

* * *

It would seem to me that it's a great way to keep the kids using the
library.  My kids borrow videos from the public library often.  Beats
renting at the video store.  What would you do with them if kids don't
use them?  Maybe if you want to increase circ or make a direct
correlation to books, they can sign out a video and a book but not just
a video.  Bye

* * *

This is a collection development/censorship issue. Why would you deselect these
videos? Are they inappropriate for this grade level? Is there
something
physically wrong with them? Do you have books in your collection put there solely
for the purpose of pleasure reading (drawing books, joke books,
etc.)?
Then why not have some pleasure VIEWING? Visual literacy is a significant skill. It
should be nurtured and addressed just as the other literacies
should.

* * *

We have some movies, but I always tell the students that the library can't compete
with BLOCKBUSTER (major video store).  Wait and see is my advice.
Perhaps the parents of your population can't afford many videos....the kids
probably love them...
Your decision is mainly whether to maintain and build this collection!  If you want
to lose them, pass them out to classrooms. .
When I said we have some, it's like ten plus a several more for student checkout
that are curriculum based, like Hobbit... Most movie-like one are in
the
teacher collection...usually not checked out by kids.

* * *

If the teachers don't have a problem with this, I
wouldn't worry about it.  You can make a policy that
they have to check out two books to every video if you
want.
I also wouldn't replace them after they bite the dust,
though.  But I can't see throwing them away just
because they aren't books.

* * *

We have a collection of nearly 2000 videos. While the collection is mainly
for classroom use, students can and do check out videos as well. We have
quite a few feature films as well as purely educational videos. I would
suggest that the collection be maintained and even updated. Video is a way
for students to expand their horizons, to enjoy the world around them. If
you have books in your library for pleasure reading why not pleasure
viewing?

* * *

 I work in el libraries.  At one library I have made a collection
available for student checkout.  If the Principals would let me at the others
schools, I'd do the same.  These are of high quality & information or lit.
related.  These lead nonreaders oftentimes to books.  I think they belong in
a library where we purport to be a center of info resources.  I try to keep
them in a replacement range that is in accordance with our book values, so
that parents won't be shocked with a bill.
     I know that our middle school does the same & I know at one point the
h.s. librarian was told to do the same (at one point we had a Supt. who was a
former a.v. director), but I am not sure of the current status.   Good luck!

* * *

We have a collection of videos for student check-out in our elementary media
center.  It was purchased originally with Title VI monies as an
appropriate
alternative for viewing by young children rather than some of the titles they were
getting at video stores.  Ours circulate very well.

* * *

 Our media center operates two different checkout systems for
videos. Our curriculum-based collection is part of the regular catalog.
Available to students only with the permission of a teacher. Otherwise
the videos are checked out to teachers for appropriate educational use.
        Then we have a feature-entertainment oriented collection that is
available to check-out, for a rental fee, by students parents or anybody
else affiliated with the school community. We avoid explicit
violence/sex videos, but we do have some R rated movies that students
cannot check out.
        Since we're an overseas school, we feel the entertainment videos
are a valuable service, but they are not part of the regular school
curriculum. We actually initiated a long discussion on LM_NET about the
propriety/legality of such a system. The most well-documented replies
assured us that we were within our legal rights as a library to charge a
fee for such services, as long as the money generated would be
reincorporated into our school operations.

* * *

I am the librarian in a middle school (6-8) of about 750 students and have a
video collection of about 100 cassettes mostly feature films or films of
books we have in the collection (Shiloh, Incredible Journey, etc.)  The
students love it!!  Especially 6th graders.  I feel this is another service
I can offer them (some students don't have the opportunity to rent quality
videos, either because they are not aware of them or because their parents
aren't aware of them) and it seems to give them a different perspective of
the library (not just for books and research).  I'm also surprised at how
many circulations I can get from a video--some have lasted through 100
circs!

* * *

 Maybe you could c/o the videos till they were lost/old, and not buy anymore
for students, then just buy for teachers, I keep mine in the back

* * *

I am in a high school.  We do let students check video out occassionally, if
there is a legitimate research need.  We do, in fact, have some feature films
that the English Department requests-- the ones made from books.  These are
usually not too enticing to the students, so they don't check them out.

* * *

I don't think that the school library is a video store.  That money should be
used to buy videos for teachers or more books for the children.  If the kids
want to watch movies, they should go to the public library or a video store.
I would say that you will become the enemy if you stop the video circulation.
 My opinion would be to let them continue to check them out, just do not
purchase any additional videos.  With repeated use, they will fall apart.
This might take a few years, but it will go away.  When it is gradual, no one
will notice.    You could also help "lose" a video here and there to make it
go quicker.  Or, maybe have contests to give them away here and there too.

* * *

I am surprised that the previous librarian used her/his budget to buy
entertainment videos!  First of all, our budgets are all tight.  Secondly,
the library is supposed to purchase materials that support the school's
curriculum.  Thirdly, copyright law frowns upon using media materials for
entertainment purposes in schools.  Although I have purchased a few videos
that can be considered entertainment at times, I usually suggest strongly
that teachers tie those videos into their instructional units in some way.
I think the taxpayers would be more than a little miffed if they found out
that their moneys were being used to replicate a videostore.
Just my old fashioned opinion.

* * *

Our videos are for teachers only.  The previous librarian had allowed
students to check them out.  I have done it once, and only to someone with a
trustworthy parent.  It seems that videos should be curriculum related - not
for entertainment purposes.

* * *

Please leave the video collection for students.  I can't imagine why a librarian
would want to keep materials from students--especially materials they
are
accustomed to having available.  I've started video collections for students at all
my libraries, and everything about them is successful.  However,
don't make a
separate collection.  Shelve those videos in the collection just like books.  They
are simply sources of information and entertainment like the books
in your
collection.  Videos now cost less than books, and everyone has a video machine.  It
is wonderful for students to think the library has the materials
they want and
need.  If a teacher needs the video, you can retrieve it from the student who has
it, just like you would a book.

* * *

I have also never heard of such a use for videos; it seems like a waste of funds to
me. If possible, I'd change the policy so that they were
accessible for teacher
use only as part of their curriculum. In the future, I'd also only purchase videos
that fit part of the curriculum as well.

* * *

We have only videos that support the curriculum and are shown in the
classroom.  Not check-out-able by students.  What are the performance rights?

* * *

I have a semi large video collection-all kids titles that I don't allow the
kids to check out but I do circulate them to parents.  In fact, it's my hook
to get them into the library.  We have a large Hispanic population and we do
everything we can to get books into the homes. I don't circulate them to kids
because they see way to many TV shows and Videos as it is & I certainly don't
want to encourage it.

* * *

At my k-8 school, videos are loaned only to teachers, and I expect to keep it that
way (for reasons of wear and tear, budget, etc.).  Of course, you
are
aware that for reasons of copyright, your teachers cannot use videos unless they
are a part of a lesson.  They can't be used for rewards or
entertainment.  Maybe you should just not replace any non-curriculum-related videos
as they wear out, if you want to change the current set up.
  Hope this helps.

* * *

I have no answers...but ...I took a job in January at a high school with 1000
students.  My first assignment was to assume the purchasing of videos...in
our school only teachers can sign out videos...students may watch them on a
preview television workstation with headphones.  I also am trying to decide
what is appropriate and how to initate the changes with the other librarian.

* * *

 I also only have videos for teachers use, personally I don't believe that feature
length (commercial) videos are appropriate for an elementary
school...many students have parents who
purchase these, the public library has many and the video stores.  I would prefer
to encourage READING...our videos all tie into the curriculum.
Occasionally, (end of school year)
teachers come looking for something long and I recommend the video store/public
library.

* * *
I'd try to find out the historical precedence of this.  In my opinion, the
school library budget is there primarily to support the curriculum, not the
video entertainment needs of its patrons (teachers or students), within
reason, of course.  Another thing to consider is the question of copyright.
There are strong restrictions regarding the showing of the type of videos
you mention within the school setting.  Showing a video like this for
anything other than educational purposes is strictly prohibited!  If your
students are studying Hamlet, and you want to show the Mel Gibson version of
the film as a tool for studying the Shakespeare work, fine, but to show the
same film in an assembly as entertainment, is illegal.

* * *

I posted a question similar to yours toward the beginning of the year.
I was new this last year and began circulating videos to students when
previously they had only been available to teachers.  One or two
teachers complained to the principal (on the grounds that we shouldn't
circulate videos when we are trying so hard to get them to read). My
philosophy was and is that visual literacy is important these days as
well as print literacy; that seeing a video of a book or on a particular
topic can stimulate interest in reading the book or finding written info
on the topic; and that students with learning disabilities in reading
can get a grounding in a subject using video and this will also make
reading about the subject easier.

Whew! A mouthful.  What it means for selection/collection development is
that I DON'T buy feature films that they can get from the video store
(unless they tie directly into a book, such as Where the Red Fern
Grows).  I don't even buy stuff like Magic School Bus and Arthur that
they can readily watch on PBS.  I go for 1) programs that I think will
turn them on to trying the book (as in the above mentioned example) or
other literature-related programs such as the Children's Circle videos,
and 2) information programs that are either curriculum-driven or that
will arouse interest in a subject (like Families of Mexico, for example,
or a video field trip on a submarine).

Also, I try to pay $25 or less (usually $12-19) so the student won't get
sockedwith such a big bill if he/she loses the video.  This way the cost
is comparable to replacing a book.  I ordered a lot of videos from
Library Video Company and plan to order more this year.