Thanks to everyone who answered.The answers were excellent, and I
appreciated the time people took to answer my request.Here they are :

I've worked with a lot of librarians who have the same problem.. I suggest
for the very physically handicapped and mentally challenged the K-8 picture
books and even the pre-school board books are wonderful.... At one school
they use the label "P" for primary and the concept that the basic primary
ideas are shown. Many of the student body check these out for the simple
presentation of ideas and concepts then build upon them.... another school
uses the label " BA" for basic and interfile the materials with non-fiction
and fiction.  A Third school uses the label "EA" for Educational adapted
materials and also interfiles. Hope this helps.

 I am just starting a new job at a middle school; yesterday a spec ed
teacher asked for my advice on some titles we might have or could order for
her 6th and 7th grade.  Today I received a shipment of books and there were
some from Capstone Press in the boxes.  The SpEd teachers seemed to think
those would be terrific for her kids.  Maybe they have some titles for you.
 Their address is http://www.capstone-press.com/

I've got a list of sources at this page:
http://www.resourceroom.net/Surfin/hilow.htm

Some of the really good little kids books are popular, but thanks on
behalf of the kids for considering their needs!

Also on that site is a list of reviews of some 'regular' lit I've used
successfully w/ LD kids at the secondary level (and I'm guessing a
goodly bunch of those 250 are classfied LD).

 would suspect that a lot of these students can use many of your reqular
books, so K-3 would be very insulting.  You will have to go through those
K-3 books book-by-book to find suitable titles.  My guess is that would find
just as many that would support your regular and even honors program as your
SPED program.

BIG ISSUES: Age & age.
1.  Most K-3 books, no matter topic, fiction or  non-fiction, are filled
with picture of children that age.  A book on weather might have really
great info about weather systems, but it would be filled with pictures of
little kids in slicker suits or going swimming.
2.  Hand-me-down collections have often had the best tiltles culled.
Someone has pulled out the newer titles--the "golden oldies"--the books that
illustrate literary terms--whatever is still useful to the collection that
they originally come from.  You may still find useful stuff, but it will
probably be something that was originally overlooked.

Katherine, I heard someone call their easy (children's) books EVERYONE or
EVERYBODY books....because they are for ALL ages.  Some have even labeled
them in their signage.