Hi all,
Thanks for all the great ideas.  We have decided that this would be a great
project for our student council, and you have given us some great ideas!

****
Just out of curiousity, do you think a popcorn tin will really keep all
your stuff dry?  The ones I've seen tend to rust or otherwise
deteriorate, and have leaks where the seams are.  I don't know anything
about time capsules, but if you are going to put paper and materials
(stuffed dogs, for example) inside, you want the box to be air tight and
dry.  Just a thought on a Sunday afternoon after planting tomatoes (it's
wonderful to live in Southern California).
****
Popcorn Tin is a great idea.  A suggestion-what about creating
a collage of 99 on the outside.  Finding pictures of 99 highlights will help
inspire favorite 99 items, and newspaper headlines, magazine
ads etc. will illuminate the l999 before the tin is even opened.
****
For the time capsule questionnaire, how about asking the kids to make some
kind of prediction for the year 2005.  Predicting an invention might be
interesting and fun.
****
How about asking "What is the most important thing (good or bad) that has
happened in the world since you were born?"
****
Don't forget to get their favorite books.  A did a survey of each child's
favorite book, compiled these into a list of the top 25 favorite books of the
children of my school, (the top vote-getter--Green Eggs and Ham--was #1 on
the list, etc) and put this list into a time capsule we were assembling.  You
can get lots of great lessons from this.  Good Luck
****
How about making a video of the kids talking about their favorite book and
what they like about the story. Maybe they could hold up a copy of the book
while they are talking.
****
....a media literacy lesson i have posted on my page may help you....it is
a story time capsule but it may give you some ideas...the site is under
construction...when you get to
the lesson plans arrow all the way to the bottom of the page and then arrow
up to lesson #15...that's the lesson you would be interested
in....http://www.harwich.edu/depts/lmcelm/ml.htm here's a the path if you
can not get right in ...go to harwich.edu and at Harwich Public
Schools...under New Pages...Under
Elementary LMC...under LMC...under Media Literacy...under 15 lessons!
sounds like a great project..have fun..
****
Some other traditional things in time capsules are coins and stamps.
****

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Barbara Stricker, Librarian
Alta Elementary School