OK, here's the secret on keeping that Zip-drive shortcut icon off of the Desktop
for good on Windows 98 if you have an Iomega Zip Drive installed (at least on the
version of 98 that accompanied our new Tangent PCs):

1) Click "Start" button.
2) Scroll up to "Programs" and over to "StartUp".
3) RIGHT-click "StartUp" while it is still blue, or selected (you read that
correctly).
4) Select "Open" from the menu that pops up.
5) Select all of the Iomega-related icons in the StartUp window and put them in the
Recycle Bin.  You're done!

A technician at school showed this to me in about 10 seconds.  I never would have
even thought of it.  I would assume that not everyone's version of Windows 98 on a
new PC with built-in Zip drive forces the Zip shortcut icon on every time the
machine is restarted.
For my library's purposes, though, I wanted to get rid of these things on our
student Web OPAC terminals as part of my plan to make our catalog look as
UN-Web-like as possible.  We have plenty of other Web-accessible machines they can
use to search for non-print materials, so we want to free up our OPAC stations.

Thank you to all who sent their suggestions!  I think I'm going to have a couple
more configuration questions this week as I try to make these stations as foolproof
as possible.

Gabe :-)
GABE GANCARZ, Assistant Librarian
Glenbard East High School
Lombard, IL
gabe@edmail.com

Lightspan Ed-Mail: The free e-mail solution for your school and community.
Join today at http://www.edmail.com.