Most elementary schools and over half of our middle schools are run by
library clerks with no professional librarians at all in the district to
help them.  One library clerk said she was given the key to the library
and pointed in that direction. That was the extent of her training.
Therefore, my staff and I are developing a guide for school library
clerks, titled, "Where Do I Start? A School Library Handbook."  We have
developed most of the content and used it in a 4 day workshop last week.
We hope to have  it ready for sale by  the end of October, priced around
$25.

We are looking for the best books and resources to include in selected
bibliographies for each section.  Please let me know what you have really
used and found to be the best resources in any of the following areas
(complete citations, if possible):
        1. Library mission and purpose
        2. Roles and responsibilities of library staff
        3. Library facilities, organization and design
        4. Dewey Decimal System, cataloging/classification
        5. Children's literature
        6. Booktalking and storytelling
        7. Policies - selection, challenge, censorship
        8. Public relations
        9. Library environment - displays, merchandizing, bulletin boards
        10. Acquisitions, processing of materials
        11. Automation
        12. Selection of materials, selection tools, collection development
        13. Weeding
        14. Electronic reference tools
        15. Internet use and management
        16. Teaching library skills and information literacy
        17. Library resources - organizations, training

Please reply and, if enough folks are interested, I'll post a HIT.

Susan Choi
Manager, Library Services
Santa Clara County Office of Education
San Jose, CA 95131-2398