Thank-you to all who sent me suggestions for electronic field trips and
distance learning.  I'm sure many of you will find these helpful, too.

http://www.televentures.org/

http://dir.yahoo.com/recreation/travel/virtual_field_trips/

http://www.mysteriousplaces.com/

There's a good one about money and the Federal Reserve Bank in San
Francisco -- don't have the URL right now (lost all my bookmarks the
other day and am now trying to reconstruct my list!!) but it's findable
with any general search engine, I would suppose.

Libraries Unlimited, 1-800-237-6124, just released the 2nd edition of
"Virtual Field trips."  The 1st
won was phenomenal.

Go to www.globalearn.com.

Last year we did Africa Quest with our grade 7/8 class. It was
WONDERFUL!!
The descriptions send by the team members were fantastic. The kids
adored
it and couldn't wait to check in each day. I think they were going to do
an
Asia Quest, but I'm not sure if that was this year or last spring. I'm
at
home and don't have the contact info, let me know if you want it and
I'll
find it at school. I think, though, that you can find it on the Internet
by
using "Africa Quest" as a search topic.

My 3/4 teacher followed Classroom Afloat last year and it was good, but
nowhere near as good as Africa Quest. I can get that info also if you
need
it.

We have electronic field trips broadcast over our educational TV
station.
We have trips to farms, TV stations, coal mines, and Mammoth Cave, among

others.  They can be purchased for a reasonable fee.  For a catalog,
contact
Jeff Gray at KET (jgray@ket.org).  I'm not sure how they run
out-of-state
business.  Just tell him I contacted you concerning your question
(please
give my school so he can get his bearings), and he will tell you how he
can
help you.

Carolyn Reid, LMS
Campbell County High School, Alexandria, KY
creid@campbell.k12.ky.us

Try the Colonial Williamsburg site (don't have it with me...try
Dogpile.com)..they offer 6-7 each year and the ones we've seen were
wonderful and probably better suited to 8th graders than 5th graders.

Check the T-Star website, especially their:
    Guide to Utilization of Electronic Fieldtrips at
http://www.t-star.org/fieldtrips.html
    Satellite Program Providers at http://www.t-star.org/progpro.html

--
Lois Tabis, Librarian