Hi LM_NETters!
I started to reply to Cindy directly, but then I thought that I would throw
this out into the forum, and see what others think.  I have never believed
that just because one teacher or grade use a particular book for a class, it
should be restricted exclusively for that one use only.  Let's face it.  Most
kids aren't brain surgeons.  They probably won't retain enough to make a
difference.  Plus when you read for pleasure, and when you read for a class,
you notice different meanings and interpretations of the same events.  Many
of my favorite books, that I read for pleasure when I was growing up, are now
in reading series.  Therefore, the children do not read them for pleasure.
How many of you reread a book simply because you love the story?  By removing
those titles from the shelves, you are depriving a whole school by preventing
them from rediscovering what made those stories so great.  Everytime you read
a story, you discover something new.  Good literature can stand up to that
challenge, topical literature can't.  By removing the Newbery's they are
stating in a sense that the literature can't stand up to the close scrutiny.
I know that I have been rambling along, but this truly bothers me.  Any
thoughts?  Marcy

Marcia Berbeza
No longer a Substitute!
LMS