I am currently working on an assignment about bibliotherapy when
I began to wonder about books dealing with serious issues like
sexual abuse, gay issues, etc.  I am looking to work with K-8
students when I complete my MLIS degree.  First, I am not sure
if such topics would even be included in the media center for
these age groups.  Second, what procedures would be used to include
such literature?  Third, does such literature have a place in
the curriculum? (please don't just focus on the two examples
I gave above, for there are many more, such as poverty, bigamy,
euthanasia, and bodily functions.)

That said, I would also be interested in specific K-8 titles
for the following topics:
1. Sexual abuse (fiction only - already know many titles in non-fiction
category)
2. Gay issues (aware of My Two Dads and My Two Uncles)
3. bedwetting
4. bad habits (i.e. picking nose, poor hygiene, etc)
5. obesity

that I really need to know how to handles such items in the collection
so I can be better prepared when I accept my first position in
a school media center.  Thank you so much in advance for your
assistance.  I learn so much from everyone who responds to my
questions.

Kevin Clement
MLIS graduate student
University of North Carolina Greensboro
349 Curry
Greensboro, NC 27401
ktclemen@uncg.edu

-----
MailStart Plus - http://www.mailstartplus.com
Consolidate Your Mailboxes Into an Organized, Filtered, Spell-Checked,
Anywhere, Anytime WebBox