Here's the HIT on monster books.  Thanks to everyone.  You will see that I
didn't edit profusely, I think it's interesting to see how many times a title
is mentioned.  One response (as you will see) included hits from Amazon.com.
Again, thanks to all.

Nancy Westendorf, Librarian
Community School 14
Rochester, NY
NSpringWes@aol.com

Here's the original post:
I have a preK teacher who likes to do a monster unit the first month of
school.  I need read-alouds and poetry on the monster theme (not dinosaurs).
Books like "Where the Wild Things Are" are what I am aiming for, or "There's
a Monster in My Closet."

Here are the responses:

Sorry I can't remember the author,but there's a really cute book called
ANDREW'S MONSTERS!

One of my Favorite monster stories is Harry and the Terrible Whatzit by
Dick Gackenback.

I love "Big Green Monster" for that age.

How about The Monster Under My Bed by Suzanne Gruber

How about trolls? You could share a version of the toll-bridge troll and
make troll masks.

I saw that someone had posted GO AWAY BIG GREEN MONSTER.  We recently
purchased a puppet that goes along with this book and the children love it!
We use it when we study colors.  We bought it from Beckley Cardy but it may
be available from other companies.

Hi.  There's a nightmare in my closet has 2 sequels--There's an alligator
under my bed and There's something in my attic.  No more monsters for me by
Parish,  There's a monster under my bed by James Howe, Harry and the terrible
whatzit by Gackenbach, Go away, Big Green Monster! by Emberley, Abiyoyo by
Seeger & Simon's book by Drescher (Read. Rainbow selections), Do not open by
Turkle, The Judge by Zemach, My mama says...by Viorst are some of my
favorites.

im sure youve probably already had this one suggested, but one of my
favorites with the young ones is currently Glad Monster, Sad Monster by Ed
Emberley and Anne Miranda...its a book about feelings....just a thought.

I love to do with first grades (and could be used with younger)
Harry_and_the_terrible_whatzit! by Dick Gackenback (a boy afraid of a
monster in his basement)...reminds me of when I was a kid!

AND

a story with the "opposite theme" of a monster afraid of humans there is
Clyde_monster by Robert Crowe

Also...Mercer Mayer's You're_the_scaredy_cat is one that I do with
Kindergarten...our imaginations are usually what scares us!

Andrew's Amazing Monsters by Berlan (I think) is well liked  - I read it
to the 4 year olds every year.  It's fun and not scary.

What about the "..from the Black Lagoon" series?

Clyde Monster by Robert L. Crowe and illustrated by Kay Chorao

How about the Mercer Mayer series of "Little Monster" books  (Little Monster
Goes to School   is one in this series)?

The kindergarteners in my school love Harry and the Terrible Whatzit.
Sorry, I'm not at school yet and the author completely escapes me!

How about the Little Monster books by Mercer Mayer or one of my personal
favorites,The Monster at the End of this Book (Sesame Street)?

Also, here's a partial list of "monster" books from Amazon.com's kids section:

123 Monster Parade (Arthur's Really Helpful Workbooks) ~ Usually ships in 24
hours
Marc Tolon Brown(Illustrator) / Paperback / Published 1998

The Adventures of Roopster Roux : The Monster All-Stars (Adventures of
Roopster Roux, No 3) ~ Usually ships in 24 hours
Lavaille Lavette, Louis Mitchell (Illustrator) / Paperback / Published 1998

Another Monster at the End of This Book (Jellybean Books(Tm).) ~ Usually
ships in 24 hours
Jon Stone, et al / Hardcover / Published 1999

Anthony, the Perfect Monster (Step into Reading. Step 2 Book) ~ Usually ships
in 2-3 days
Angelo Decesare / Library Binding / Published 1996

Awesome Animated Monster Maker C/M&W/Us ~ Usually ships in 2-3 days
Also See:Hmi 780137 Cmhmi 780106 / CD-ROM / Published 1996

The Berenstain Bear Scouts and the Ice Monster (The Berenstain Bear Scouts) ~
Stan Berenstain, et al / Paperback / Published 1997

The Berenstain Bears and the Green-Eyed Monster (First Time Books) ~ Usually
ships in 24 hours
Stan Berenstain, Jan Berenstain (Contributor) / Paperback / Published 1995

The Berenstain Bears and the Green-Eyed Monster (First Time Books) ~ Usually
ships in 2-3 days
Stan Berenstain, Jan Berenstain (Contributor) / Library Binding / Published
1995

The Boggart and the Monster ~ Usually ships in 24 hours
Susan Cooper, Trina Schart Hyman (Illustrator) / School & Library Binding /
Published 1997

The Boggart and the Monster (Aladdin Fantasy) ~ Usually ships in 24 hours
Susan Cooper / Paperback / Published 1998

Bonnie on the Beach/Jackson's Monster/The Yard Sale/The Class Play/The
Hand-Me-Downs; Level 3 ~ Usually ships in 2-3 days
Catherine Peters / Paperback / Published 1997

Bubble Monster : And Other Science Fun ~ Usually ships in 2-3 days
John H. Falk(Editor), et al / Paperback / Published 1996

Cam Jansen and the Mystery of the Monster Movie
David A. Adler, Susanna Natti (Illustrator) / School & Library Binding /
Published 1984

The Case of the Night-Stalking Bone Monster (Hank the Cowdog, 27) ~ Usually
ships in 2-3 days
John R. Erickson, Gerald H. Holmes (Illustrator) / Hardcover / Published 1999

The Cave Monster (Little Golden Books)
Justine Korman, Don Williams (Illustrator) / Hardcover / Published 1996

The Cinnamon Lake-Ness Monster Mystery (Cinnamon Lake Mysteries, 7) ~ Usually
ships in 2-3 days
Dandi Daley MacKall, Kay Salem (Illustrator) / Paperback / Published 1998

The Color Monster ~ Usually ships in 2-3 days
Ron Fontes, et al / School & Library Binding / Published 1997

Cookie Monster! (Ross, Anna. Furry Faces.) ~ Usually ships in 24 hours
Anna Ross, et al / Hardcover / Published 1997

The Crazy Monster Game (Crazy Games) ~ Usually ships in 2-3 days
Guy Vasilovich(Illustrator) / Paperback / Published 1996

Cut and Make Monster Masks in Full Color ~ Usually ships in 2-3 days
Michael Grater / Paperback / Published 1978

Dinosaur Stomp! : A Monster Pop-Up Book ~ Usually ships in 24 hours
Paul Stickland / Hardcover / Published 1996

Disney's Hercules a Monster Pop-Up : A Monster Pop-Up ~ Usually ships in 2-3
days
Lisa Ann Marsoli, et al / Hardcover / Published 1997

Don't Feed the Monster on Tuesdays! : The Children's Self-Esteem Book ~
Usually ships in 24 hours
Adolph J. Moser, et al / School & Library Binding / Published 1991

Dragons, Dinosaurs and Monster Poems ~ Usually ships in 24 hours
John Foster(Compiler), Korky Paul (Illustrator) / Hardcover / Published 1998

Drawing and Cartooning Monsters : A Step-By-Step Guide for the Aspiring
Monster-Maker ~ Usually ships in 24 hours
Tony Tallarico / Paperback / Published 1992

Eddie's Monster ~ Usually ships in 2-3 days
Michael D. Abrams, Nicolas Van Pallandt (Illustrator) / Hardcover / Published
1998

El Monstruo Y El Osito/the Monster and the Teddy Bear ~ Usually ships in 2-3
days
David McKee / Paperback / Published 1998

Eyewitness Readers: Beastly Tales (Level 3, Grades 2-3) ~ Usually ships in 24
hours
Malcolm Yorke / Paperback / Published 1998

Frank Was a Monster Who Wanted to Dance ~ Usually ships in 24 hours
Keith Graves(Illustrator) / Hardcover / Published 1999

From the Mouth of the Monster Eel : Stories from Micronesia ~ Usually ships
in 2-3 days
Nancy Bohac Flood, et al / Hardcover / Published 1996

Funpax: Monster Origami ~ Usually ships in 24 hours
Paperback / Published 1999

The Garbage Monster from Outer Space (Hank the Cowdog, 32) ~ Usually ships in
24 hours
John R. Erickson, Gerald L. Holmes (Illustrator) / Hardcover / Published 1999

Ghost Camp, How to Kill a Monster, Legend of the Lost Legend, Attack of the
Jack O'Lanterns; Books #48-#48 ~ Usually ships in 2-3 days

The Ghosts' Trip to Loch Ness ~ Usually ships in 2-3 days
Jacques Duquennoy, Kathryn Nanovic (Translator) / Hardcover / Published 1996

The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps, No 8) ~ Usually ships in 2-3 days
R. L. Stine / Paperback / Published 1995

Glad Monster, Sad Monster : A Book About Feelings ~ Usually ships in 24 hours
Anne Miranda(Illustrator), Ed Emberley (Illustrator) / Hardcover / Published
1997

Go Away, Big Green Monster! ~ Usually ships in 24 hours
Ed Emberley / Hardcover / Published 1993

My kids love the book The Big Green Monster by Ed Emberley.  It has cut
outs and the face builds and then "unbuilds" throughout the story.  My
PreK-1st students beg me to read it week after week.

How about Viorst's "My mama says there aren't any ghosts, vampires...?"

The End!