Here's several responses I received.  Each has a little bit different tack.
Several asked to have it sent to them, so I'm taking the easy way out.  Hope
this helps others as much as it helped me.

100- Who am I?
200- Who made me?
300-Who is my neighbor?
400-How can I make my neighbor understand me?
500-How can I understand nature and the world about me?
600-How can I use what I know about nature?
700-How can I enjoy my leisure time?
800-How can I give to other people a record of man's heroic deeds..
(story teller poetry, plays)
900-How can I leave a record for men of the future?
---
A Story about the Dewey Decimal System of Classification

100 - Who am I?  (Man thinks about himself)

200 - Who made me? (Man thinks about God)

300 - Who is the man in the next cave? (Man thinks about other
people

400 - How can I make that man understand me? (Man learns to
communicate with others through words)

500 - How can I understand nature & the world about me? (Man learns
to understand nature on the land, in the sea, and in the sky)

600 - How can I use what I know about nature? (Primitive man learned
about fire & how to make weapons. Man through the ages learned about
the wheel, medicine, planting crops, cooking food, building bridges, &
how to make all the things we use)

700 - How can I enjoy my leisure time? (By this time, primitive man
had more time to do the things he enjoyed. He learned how to paint
pictures, create music, dance & play games)

800 - How can I give to my children a record of man's heroic deeds?
(Man became a storyteller. He created sagas, fables, poetry, plays.
Later, man put these into writing for all to read)

900 - How can I leave a record for men of the future? (So man began
to write about events that had occurred everywhere and about people
who had participated in these events)

000 - General works (The numbers up to 100 are used for
bibliographies, books about books and for books which contain
information on many subjects such as encyclopedias and other reference
works)
---
i found:
000   Many different subjects
100   Man's thoughts and ways of thinking
200   Man's ideas about God
300   How people live together
400   How people talk to each other
500   Nature, the world and the universe
600   Ways to use science to help us
700   Painting dancing, music, sports and games
800   Storytelling and poetry
900  People places and important events
---
100  Who am I? (man thinks about himself)
200 Who made me? (Man thinks about God)
300 Who is the man in the next cave? (Man thinks about other people)
400 How can I make that man understand me (Man learns to communicate with
others through words.)
500 How can I understand nature and the world around me? (Man learns to
understand nature on the land, in the sea, and in the sky)
600 How can I use what I know about nature? (Primitive man learned about
fire and how to make weapons.   Man through the ages learned about the
wheel, medicine, planting crops, cooking food, building bridges, and how to
make all the things we use.)
700 How can I enjoy my leisure time? (By this time, primitive man had more
time to do the things he enjoyed.  He learned how to paint pictures and to
create music. He also learned how to dance and play games.)
800 How can I give to my children a record of man's heroic deeds? (Man
became a storyteller.  He creates sagas, fables, epics, poetry, and plays
about his ancestors and the people he knew.  Later man put these into
writing for all people to read)
900 How can I leave a record for men of the future? (So man began to write
about events that had occurred everywhere, and about people who had
participated in these events.)
000 The numbers up to 100 are used for bibliographies, books about books,
and for books which contain information on many subjects such as
encyclopedias and other reference books.

This was reprinted from School Library Journal, February 1961; copyright,
R.R. Bowker Company, 1961.
---
THE ONE I USED:
http://mte.anacortes.k12.wa.us/library/dewey/deweystory.htm
---
I always used it as questions, telling the story of the first little cave
man who came out of his cave one day in the sunshine, looked around, looked
down at himself, and suddenly the thought occurred to him, "What am I?"
The 100s answer that question.

Then he looked around at the world as far as he could see, and he thought,
"How did I get here?  The 200s contain ideas and knowledge that attempt to
answer that question.

As he is looking around, he sees another person far away on a hill, looking
at him.   And this sight brings on a rush of questions:  "Who is that?"
Can I get along with him?"  "Does he have a daughter?"  The 300s--Social
Science.

And, of course, the question "How can I communicate with him?" 400s--Language

The little man looks around at the world again, and thinks, "Why is it
hot?"  "What are those little twinkling lights overhead in the dark?"
"What kind of an animal is that?"  "Is it safe to eat this fruit?"  From
these kinds of questions come the answers of science--500s.

"Can I make more of this fruit grow?"  "Can I make a warm home and move out
of this damp cave?"  "How can I keep warm when it's cold?"  Applying
science to make life better--600s.

"I'm warm and fed; I have some time to make this warm home better looking
and play some games."--700s

And tell good stories--800s

"Now I wonder what is over the hill and beyond.  And how can I help the
children remember gr-grandpa's times when the great volcano blew up.  Or
when we made an agreement with the people over the hill that we would trad
and not fight?"--900s

I got a little carried away here.  But you can see the idea.  I had great
fun with this and making it a dramatic story helps them begin to grasp the
concept that knowledge can be divided into organized categories.  Besides
Dewey is so elegant in its flow from one subject to the next, and in its
parallels.
---
100's man thinks about self
200's man thinks about who he is, etc.
300's man thinks about his neighbors
400's man thinks about how to communicate with others
500's man thinks about nature
600's man thinks about how to use nature
700's man thinks about recreation
800's man thinks about stories
900's man thinks about history
000's man thinks about many things at once
---
This is the schema:  000's--all knowledge (encyclopedias)
        100's--who am I? (philosophy)
        200's--who made me? (religion)
        300's--who's s/he? (social issues)
        400's--how can I talk to him? (language)
       300's--who's s/he? (social issues)
        400's--how can I talk to him? (language)
        500's--what's that? (plants and animals)
        600's--can I eat it? (applied science)
        700's--let's play! (crafts, arts, sports, etc)
        800's--let's read and write! (literature)
        900's--let's look back (history)
---
DEWEY STORY:  An explanation of the ten divisions

000   General
        What are all these things?
        Man notices lots of different isolated things.

100   Philosophy & Psychology
        Who am I?
        Man thinks about himself.

200   Religion
        Who made me?
        Man thinks about God.

300   Sociology
        Who's the man in the next cave?
        Man thinks about other people.

400   Language
        How can I make that man understand me?
        Man learns to use words.

500   Basic Science
        How can I understand the world about me?
        Man discovers native life on the land, in the sea, and in the sky.

600   Applied Science
        How can I use what I know about the world?
        Man learns about fire, weapons, about the wheel, medicine,
        planting, cooking, and how to make things.

700   Fine Arts
        How can I explore my feelings and enjoy my leisure time best?
        Man learns to paint pictures, to create music, to dance, and to
        play games.

800    Literature
        How can I give mty children tales of heroes?
        Man becomes a story teller and then a writer.

900   Gustirt
        How can I leave a record for the future?
        Man begins to write about events, people, and places.
---
I'm sure you have had 100's of responses by now, but I thought I would send it
along.
100's Man thought
200's About God
300's About his neighbors
400's Man talked with his neighbors
500's Man discovered the world around him
600's Man made useful things
700's Man made beautiful things
800's Man wrote
900's Man mde records of: travels, people, events
000's Encyclopedias, reference
---

Sounds pretty neat, eh?

Laura Mason, Librarian/Grant Coordinator
Shelby County C-1 Schools
3071 Highway 15
Shelbyville, Mo.  63469-2225
lmason@nshelby.k12.mo.us