Friends,
        Present discussion of check-out policies reflects a significant
diversity of perspectives.  To a great extent this is good.  We're all
individuals with unique collections, clientele and communities to manage.
        At the same time, and as some have astutely noted, the learners are
also all unique, with unique needs, circumstances, levels of
responsibility, and simple ability to responsibly be accountable for their
mistakes.
        Please, whether the parent was literally correct as to his child's
legal "right," may we look behind the concern and realize the intent was to
realize the invitation for his (and your and my?) unique child to reach for
more because in her case she may have personally exhibited the NEED, the
responsibility and the interest.  In point of fact, a case can readily be
made for overly broad, capricious, insensitive policies abusing and/or
stymying the individual's interest or ability to move BEYOND someone else's
standard, in a healthful, constructive way.
        What do we achieve by denying others' eagerness and enthusiasm for
the sake of policy and sameness?  I say we abuse the very mission of
libraries, and schools.
        That having been said, it remains perfectly correct that we may not
loan materials at an infinite rate, nor may we infinitely stretch the
abilities of the most energetic and well-meaning of library professionals,
as you simply do not have infinite energy or resources at hand (duh, huh?).
Again, many on this list are reflecting the wisdom that policy is best
written as SUGGESTED limits--with rationales for these limits clearly
acknowledged, and with sensible exceptions also clearly encouraged,
accommodated and embraced, where reasonable and positive in effect.
        How funny, though, that the original concern posed reflected the
honest concern of a parent who noted that his child was being unhelpfully
and unnecessarily stifled by what the parent saw to be a capricious
numerical limit and school administration's knee jerk thought was to simply
raise that still capricious limit, leaving the real possibility that
several others might check out more than they could demonstrably show need
or accountability for.  Once again, sloppy thinking by those in positions
of authority only nets sloppy results and the emergence of different
problems rather than intelligently resolved ones.
        Enough of me.  Checking out, now.

JEK

*****
        With regard to the aggressive practice of treating all individuals
as if the same, one sigh fits all.

        Habitually insisting others' stated NEEDS are false or selfish, or
may be ignored, is negligent abuse of the highest order, when those others
have placed themselves, or have been left in one's trust.

Jeffrey E. Kirkpatrick
Present Occupation: uncooperative doormat & Regional Installation Technician
e-mail address: jeffkirk@concentric.net
(previously jeffkirk@sni.net)