Well, I was going to leave this topic to everyone else to discuss but
decided to post my policy because one part of it is starting to bother
me and I want your opinion.

Just for some background, this is my second year at this school.  When
I arrived last year, all grades (K to 5) were only allowed one book at
a time.  Open circulation began about the middle of the year.  In
discussing this matter with my principals, we decided that since the
collection could now support additional checkouts we would increase
the number of books certain grades could check out.  It is one of our
districts' newer schools and there weren't a lot of books the first
few years to allow more than one item to be checked out.

Anyway, our policy now is that Kindergarten & 1st grade can check out
one book per week.  Second and third grade check out two books and
fourth and fifth are allowed three.  When I announced this change to
the classes last year (after the cheering was over), I told the
students to think about three things:
    1.  Can they read two or three books in one week?
    2.  Are they responsible enough to take care of more than one
book?
    3.  What the consequences would be if they lost more than one
book?  (Especially if
            Mom or Dad found out!)

What is concerning me is that since that change if a child returns a
damaged book and they are in second grade or higher, our computer
system will only allow that child to check out one book at a time.  I
have had students will damaged books ask to check out more than one
item and I have to say no.  There is a patron type in the computer for
damaged books and when a child returns a damaged book I change the
patron type.  Do you think this reasonable?  What if it was an honest
mistake and the child has learned their lesson?  I have read the
recent postings on lost and damaged books but that did not really
answer my question.  I would appreciate some advice.  Thank you.

Sorry this was so long.
Vicki Asper
Media Coordinator
Rockfish Hoke Elementary School