From: Kathy [mailto:klibrary@HARBORNET.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 1999 9:53 AM
Subject: Re: Checking out policies

Fortunately, we can override the default for limiting checkout on our
system. If you walked up to the check out desk and asked me "how many books
can I check out?" I would say, "How many can you manage?" If you know me
you would understand that I am honoring your impulse to "have" a book you
choose (for what ever reason) but I am compelled to remind you of your
responsibility (realizing that in the library we are also teaching "public"
- citizenship, etc) and...I care about you, so I don't want you to suffer
undue stress with lists of overdue books which may cause you grief.

I like the idea of putting it on the students, developing a sense of "self"
- thinking for themselves - problem solving - becoming their own "filter."
It might come in handy and it does let them claim their "power" and control
when they choose 0 books or 1 or 4 or.........

This seems to be a "weigh in" on style. Not being "first born" I am usually
setting goals which move me in the direction of more structure. I know
there are students who need that environment. We all learn from each other
- if we are open and willing....one more reason I love LM_NET.

Kathy Mladenich
Librarian/KidSpeak Advisor
Artondale Elem School
Gig Harbor, WA