Dear Netters,

After I posed my query last week about the Teachers as Readers program,
I received numerous requests that I share the information, so here goes!

Teachers as Readers is a book discussion group and you may receive
organizational materials from the International Reading Association.
Based on my responses, most groups are composed of about 10-15 people
and most meet after school (there was one book group that met on
Saturdays) or for in-service workshops.  Several respondents indicated
that their groups have been together for over five years!  There was
also a comment that it's good to at least start out with an
administrator in the group.  One comment on the value of the groups was
that it's good for students to see their teachers involved in/enjoying
reading!

Most folks have rather informal organization...meet every month or so
for about 45 minutes, then have a light snack.  Some groups have one
group leader, others share responsibility for leading the discussion.
One leader keeps notes of books discussed, suggestions for using the
books in the classroom, and recommendations for other books to be
discussed and then copies these notes for group members. (This was a
group that read titles related to classsroom)  It was unclear whether
any groups are getting CEU credit, but some were getting some sort of
credit for their state.  I think the CEU credit is possible with some
extra paperwork!

There was a lot of variation on the types of books read!  Some groups
read only adult books and have the book group purely for enjoyment.
Other groups read books that they can use in their classrooms.  Still
other groups focus on an author study or on a particular genre.  One
person admitted that her group could never read a book that everyone
liked! Still another group has members reading different books and then
booktalking them at the meeting. (in other words, not everybody read the
same title)

Some book groups have some sort of funding to buy the books for group
members (local reading association, PTA, school funds) while other
groups read only books that are at least a year old and readily
available in paperback or at the public library.

Everyone who responded was very enthusiastic about the program.  I feel
pretty excited now about trying it out at my school.  One person
reminded me that the makeup of the group will definitely determine what
course the program will take.

Thanks to Carol, Jo, Debbie, Lossie, Dianne, and Sandy for their advice.

Diane Averett/Librarian
Kerr-Vance Academy
Henderson, NC
averett4@gloryroad.net