I have been thinking for days about what I could share with you, my
LM_NET friends, as a suitable Christmas Gift. I have no real words of
wisdom, nor do I have the riches necessary to purchase wonderful gifts.
This morning it came to me: Aunt Zadie's Secret Chocolate Cake. The best
chocolate cake recipe in the world. Aunt Zadie is my ex-husband's aunt,
Zadie Truluck Jackson, who has lived her entire 70-some years in the
same house in Moultrie,  Georgia. She would be amazed to know how far
her recipe is traveling this Christmas!

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup Crisco
3 Tablespoons cocoa
1 cup water
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a saucepan bring to a rapid boil the butter, crisco, cocoa, and
water. Sift together the flour and sugar into a mixing bowl. Add the
cocoa mixture and stir together. Add the buttermilk, baking soda, and
eggs. Beat well with an electric mixer. Add the vanilla. Pour into a 9 x
13 inch pan. Bake at 350• fahrenheit for 30 minutes. Do not remove from
pan.

While the cake is baking, make the icing.
1/2 cup butter
3 Tablespoons cocoa
6 Tablespoons milk
1 cup pecans
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups powdered sugar

In a saucepan bring to a rapid boil the butter, cocoa, and milk. Add the
pecans and vanilla. Use an electric mixer to beat the mixture as you add
the powdered sugar. Pour over warm cake.

Enjoy!

The secret (which is about to become not-a-secret) is that the day after
you make it it will taste even better (that is, if there is any left).

Merry Christmas to you and your family, and a Happy New Year 2000!

Karen DeFrank, LMS
Bullock School
Glassboro, NJ  08028
defrank@voicenet.com