Thanks to all. It looks like I'm not the only grappling with this question -
perhaps this is what makes E. D. Hirsch and Cultural Literacy so
controversial???  Although the requests for a hit outweighed the answers to
my question, here are the responses:

Here is what the net says..at this url, located by an altavista search.
http://vassun.vassar.edu/~brvannor/ivanhoe.classic.html
*************
When we get right down to it, the irony would show this to be much like the
sentiment behind the comments of a lawmaker who opined that while he could
not define profanity, he "knew" it when he saw it.
        It would be a shame (and a fraud, in fact) to put forth the
perspective that we ought not all have our own personal views as to what
constitutes a classic; and this will remain the case so long as we are all
wonderfully, uniquely diverse individuals.
        That's a lousy answer to your question, but likely the best one,
nonetheless!
*****************
My personal definition of "a classic" -- a poem, story, novel, essay, song,
etc., that is so widely read that educated people recognize references to it
even if they haven't read it themselves.  Classics are classics because the
people of a specific culture recognize them as being so; I doubt anyone
called
John Donne's "Meditation XVII" a classic until he'd been dead a century, yet
most college-educated Anglo-Americans today recognize the phrase "no man is
an
island" even if they don't immediately recall the exact source. Classics are
culture specific; Tale of the Ganji isn't a classic to most Americans, just
as
Huckleberry Finn probably isn't a classic to most Asians.
*******************
Just my humble opinion, but I think this is very subjective. It may be
that some people rely on how popular a book was or how long ago it was
written, but I, personally, object to people "labeling" books. I once took
over a HS library where my predecessor had hung lists up on the stacks
that said "Classics and 'good' literature." I think it's up to the
individual to decide what's good, and for experts in the field to decide
what's a "classic." I'd be really surprised if you found a definitive
answer to that question, but I'd love to see it if you do!
*******************
I am also ignorant as to criteria for determining a classic but I think it
would be safe to say that they are well written books which have remained
somewhat popular over a number of years.  Now, are they popular because they
are on reading lists, or are they on reading lists because they remain
popular?
*******************
Hi Susan, I associate classics with books that have stood the test of
time, and lasted.  I hope this helps.
*******************
It's a work that stands the test of time and is read generation after
generation.
What makes it stand the test of time is yet another question.   Different
works become classics for different reasons, but all in some way address
universalities of the human condition (themes that apply to people of
different cultures and eras).
Obviously that's not enough by itself; the author has to be able to craft a
story well, which requires many skills.  Personally, I've always found
classics to be unique because I learn something new and make new discoveries
with each rereading, both about humanity on a larger scale and about the way
the author has presented it on a smaller one.
Thank you: Angus, Jeff, Ginger, Jody, Sue, Megan, Beth, Judith, Dan, Wendy,
Bev, and Linda!  Could this be a PhD topic?? :o)

Susan Grigsby, LMS
The Epstein School, Atlanta Georgia
sgrigsby@epstein-atl.org

Those who don't understand aren't committed...those who do should be.