Port Orchard, WA

From: "Heide, Kendall" kheide@usd266.com        (http://www.usd266.com)

From: "Miller, Charlotte" miller@thsrock.net

From: Beth Reardon breardon@mccallie.org        (http://www.mccallie.org/)

From: Pat Moore moore@comet.n-polk.k12.ia.us

From: Frederick Muller fmuller@mailhost2.planet.net

From: Carolyn Pearl carolynp@hiway.spring.isd.tenet.edu

From: "Kinkel, Brien" BKinkel@NCPC.org

From: Gleason Sackman gleason@rrnet.com

From: Marie Engstrom MEngstro@Beaumontschool.org

From: Brent Jones c.jones@m.k12.ut.us   (http://www.fhs.weber.k12.ut.us)

From: michele missner missnerm@athenet.net

From: Laura Bishop lbcms@mindspring.com         (www.crews.org)

From: Duncan Grey Duncan.Grey@a4503.camcnty.gov.uk

From: Gary & Melissa Gibson mrgibs1@mis.net

From: James W. Neal jwnlpsd@primenet.com
(http://parkhill.k12.mo.us/)

From: Marian Rebesco mrebesco@planet.net.au
(www.westbourne.vic.edu.au)

From: Trudy De Angelis Trudy_De_Angelis@ccmail.odedodea.edu
204.219.128.31/ahs/library/library.htm

From: Bill Sears bsears@sanjuan.edu
(http://www.sanjuan.edu/schools/mesaverde/index.html)
I have spent five years on this web site.  If you can like it you may use
it as a template.  Just change the name of the school and the background
color.  In about two years you will have made so many changes you won't
know it came from Mesa Verde. This will give you a headstart.
Enjoy!!!!!!!!

From: Katherine Mayberry mayberry@piedmont.net
(http://www.tyler.net/ruskhslib/default.htm)
This is not ours, but we were extremely impressed with it. It loads quick
and clean -- no glitz, but good info and annotated/verified.

From: MGom4462@aol.com  (Web66 at http://web66.coled.umn.edu/schools.html)
They have websites of schools from all over the world.  Also from US you
can choose the state.

From: Pat Mosley pmos@mindspring.com
(http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us)

From the county page go to local schools and centers for a list of the
schools in our system.  Many have links to their own web pages.  Please
check out our page for Marbut Elementary Theme School.  We have an 8-acre
wetland attached to our property.  The Discovery classes have taken
pictures and posted them to the website with their research.  Soon to
come, our Ocean exhibit - please check back to see it.  It will be posted
sometime in the next 30 days.

From: Diane Mentzer mentzdia@mail.wcboe.k12.md.us
(www.wcboe.k12.md.us/mainfold/schoopag/elementary/paramount/index.html)
I think it is very good, but then I am the webmaster.

From: Peninsula High School Library phslibr@orca.esd114.wednet.edu
(www.peninsula.wednet.edu)
The links are pretty useful, particularly infotrac and copernicus.

From: M. Ellen Jay mejay@umd5.umd.edu
(http://www.mcps.k12.md.us/ )

Hi, The Montgomery County Public School system page has both individual
school pages and a great deal of curricular and professional components.
The Social Studies part is terriffic with links to all sorts of topics
related to units of study.  Address is http://www.mcps.k12.md.us/ Quality
of each individual school is varried.  Mine for Damascus Elementary
focuses on curricular activities as a communication tool for community
outreach.  Not all grade levels cooperate.

From: Candace Ballantyne cballant@jeffco.k12.co.us
(http://jeffco.k12.co.us)

As a very large school district, Jeffco might have some helpful
information for you.  Just do me a favor, and don't look at my school's
home page as the person who used to update it left and no one has take up
the slack yet.  (I'm on the committee to do this, but there are a number
of other burning issues at this point that take priority.  The largest of
which is a budget deficit leading to layoffs and not filling vacant
positions, one of which is our school technologist!  I don't want to
misquote, but wasn't it Snoopy who said it best? "Aggh!") Hope this site
helps and that you find many others!

From: CV Patty Goodsell trish@fc.cfsd.k12.az.us
(http://www.cfsd.k12.az.us/~vvwww/VVLibrary/ Hotspots2.html)

Here's an elementary one in my district that we think is outstanding,
especially our Dewey Decimal World Wide Web Links for Kids which all
elementary librarians work on--sites are categorized by the Dewey Decimal
Classifications--helps students make the connection from nonfiction in the
library to related websites.  We have access right here at this page to
our public library, daily newspaper, yahooligans, and World Book Online
Encyclopedia and Searchbank, our two online subscriptions.

The librarian is Caryl Jones: cjones@fc.cfsd.k12.az.us

From: Sharron L. McElmeel smcelmeel@cedar-rapids.k12.ia.us
(http://www.cedar-rapids.k12.ia.us/harrison/harrison.html) and
(http://www.aea10-k12.ia.us/literacy) -- this is a site developed by
students in celebration of 150 years of literacy in Iowa.

From: Steve Vander Ark vderark@bccs.org
(http://www.bccs.org)

I am particularly proud of our school website. Here are a couple of
reasons why:

1)  After two previous versions of our site which tried to do too much and
ended up being slow and hard to manage, this version is quick and
beautifully organized and so simple to edit and update that I can have
volunteer parents work on it.
2)  It functions as a home page for our school computers and also for many
of our families; here at school we only allow kids to access the web
through our site, which means they can only use the links I provide,
including kid-friendly search pages and sites that tie into assignments.
Since it's easy to update, I can keep those links fresh. Parents set this
as their home page at home and have the same rule for their kids: they
have to use the web only through links on our school site.
3)  Because it's easy and quick to update (and because we use a Sony
Mavica digital camera, the pictures of which you can drag and drop right
onto a web page while you're editing), we are constantly adding pictures
and links and information, which makes the site lively and interesting for
kids and parents and staff to log into all the time.
4)  The pages are set up with a specific format, easily identifiable by
kids. We teach them to use the web almost as a field trip. They leave our
school web page and go somewhere out in the world. They can tell they
aren't at school anymore because they notice that the pages aren't in our
school format (and they know how to read URL's too). Once they have
visited wherever it is they were going, they click on the Home button on
top of the browser and they go right back to BCCS. We never allow surfing.
The page layout--burgundy bar on the left, five buttons, "bccs on the web"
in the left corner, three columns, standard fonts and sizes--allows them
to identify when they're home. Again, parents know this and use our home
page on their home computers the same way.
5)  Pages on our site don't require scrolling. That's important, because I
want the information on our site to be easy to access, quick, and concise.
With only a few exceptions, I have kept each page to one screen in 640X480
(although we work in 800X600 at school). Also, I really wanted to avoid
frames, which are problematic on many computers, but I didn't want the
identifiable "BCCS web site" features of our pages to scroll off the
screen.

There are always things I wish I had more time to do. The pages are far
from perfect in some ways, and they probably won't win any awards for
flash. But they WORK. And they are always updated.

From: rich tabis <tabis@infonline.net>

Try LM-NET archives; I have printed out a couple lists like this before.
One was for good school sites, one for libraries.  If you get any more,
though, please post a HIT.  Thanks!

From: Elizabeth  Vaccaro evaccaro@massed.net
http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/mitchell/media_center

I am getting a good response from students, teachers, and parents for the
Mitchell School media center website.  Students looking for their links
open the door to their grade level.  I have second graders who can find
appropriate sites independently.  Also, look at
(http://www.needham.k12.ma.us/pollard/media_center). It may still be the
one I designed last year, but a new one with great graphics is in the
works.  There are many great sites, but I feel that a school web site
should find the sites appropriate to those students at that time.