These are the responses that I received on my request for the best
multimedia projector for schools based on price, brightness, and ease of
use. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

We just went through a selection process and ended up choosing the
Proxima 5800.  Our district purchasing person is still trying to get us an
exact price, but will probably be around $3200.  We liked the 650 Ansi
lumens and the fact that you could hook more than one computer, etc. to ut.
 It is heavy, about 19 lbs. but we will keep it on a cart. There is a
lighter model of Porxima that is about 8 lbs.  It isn't quite as bright,
but close.  It also only has one set of hookups.  Its bulb has a fairly
long life and little upkeep on the machines from schools who have used the
projector.  There is a newer model, the 5900, but it was getting out of our
price range.

Our school board uses the EZPRO 500 projector from CTX Optro Inc. This was
a medium range machine. We have used it almost daily and have had no
difficuties with it. These projectors travel all over our school board -
they are really robust There are other more expensive models with greater
brightness and capabilities but this model gives good performance and is
easy to use.

CTX OPTRO INC is located at suite 1178 Bordeaux Drive, Sunnyvale
California, 94089. Phone 1-888-289-6786 or Fax 1-408-541-6068

We recently purchased a Kodak DP850 that we've been really impressed with.

We had a HUGE Sharp projector a few years ago, but now purchase Proxima's
in our district.  They are easy to use, lights can be on, and run $4500 ???
My info is at school.

Our county bought the "FireFly"  AV projector.  It is light-weight, easy to
use and works well in medium light.  We are very happy with ours.  I'm
sorry I'm at home & don't know the price or the company.

We use the Philips ProScreen 4600 Endurance. I'm not sure of the stateside
price, but I'm sure it was cheaper than here in Belgium. It's a great
box.Compact, sturdy, and bright. Features two data inputs and one video.
Good remote and simple controls. Integrated handle. Very solid, durable,
and sharp. I love em.

According to most people I have talked to - there are really only 2
companies that stand out in this market - Sharp and InFocus.  At our
school, we have Sharp NV (1 and 2's), mainly becuase of the features and
the 3  year warranty. (InFocus offers a 2 year warranty).  The bulbs are
quite pricey ($450 each) but are *supposed* to last for about 2000 hours.
The NV2's have a 750 ANSI lumen bulb and don't require a completely dark
room (we usually turn off one set of lights in the front of the room.  In
Indiana we can get them for about $4500.

While I don't presume to know what is best, I like the one our district
techs chose for me.  Sanyo PLC 5500NA. It is super for regular sign screens
or huge one for auditoriun type places.  Ease of use is its best feature.
I don't need to look up directions each time; I can figure it out after
being shown.

I have not used a laptop with it or a VCR but that is supposed to be easy
too.; We bought the carrying case(crew case)  A disadvantage may be the
cost of lamp--about 275.  The projector is about 3500.

Gary Childers (Librarian)
Stevens Middle School
Port Angeles, Washington
gchild@orca.esd114.wednet.edu