Here we are, past the 100th day of school, and some classes come in as if it's
the first day of school ever!  I have a small, irregularly shaped story area,
somewhat like an open hexagon, in which students sit for story time.  There
isn't room for benches, backrests or cushions, and seating is a big issue with
many classes.  The teacher and I usually seat the kids in rows of about 6
students each, but if this was a different physical setup, I would have made
out a seating chart long ago.

I hate wasting time on seating issues, and am trying to think of how to make
this a non-issue.  Part of the problem derives from everyone wanting to lean
against a wall which just won't work for a number of reasons.  Since a typical
library seating rug will never fit into this strangely shaped area, I've
thought about putting masking tape on the rug we have, numbering the spaces
and making a seating chart based on that.  I don't think the tape would last a
day, though, and I'm not allowed to do anything permanent.

This does tie into the thread re. manners, and I do emphasize that, but if any
of you have ideas, I'd really love to hear them.

Thank you in advance,

Sharon Blumenstein
Library Director, Emek Hebrew Academy,
Sherman Oaks, CA          email:  shablu@aol.com