Dear LM_NETters:
I apologize.  I was trying to combine all the hits I received (there were
several) on the questions below and I promptly did something wrong and lost
everything you folks sent me. I had erased each from e-mail as I copied
them to Clarisworks. Then I put them in a file in my Documents to cut stuff
and move things around to make sense. I somehow discarded everything and
cannot seem to retrieve it from the trash even though I haven't emptied the
trash.  Every time I think I may have a handle on using the computer I make
a major goof!  Suffice it to say I received a variety of answers which was
confusing. Several other folks also wanted to see my hits.  A couple also
wanted to know how to treat authors like O'Dell in a call number.
Unless folks are willing to send me their answers again I can't post HITS.
I tried.  Sandy P. in Philly

ORIGINAL REQUEST:
Colleagues
Some interesting queries came up today.  I thought I'd ask you experts if
you know the answers. First, you should know that in Philadelphia, we put
either an F for fiction or the Dewey number over the first three letters of
the author's last name - all in caps. Individual biographies are classified
as 921 over the first three letters of the biographee's last name - all in
caps.

What does one put as the call number in the following scenarios:

(1) There is no author or editor and the main entry is a title that begins
with an abbreviation like Mr. or
      Dr.
Does one make the call number "DR?" (?=first letter of the next word), "DR"
and no third letter (because there is a space in the title before the first
letter of the next word), "DR.", "DOC" (because one would file the card in
the card catalog as though it began Doctor), or something different than
these possibilities?

(2) There is no author or editor and the main entry is a title that uses a
number represented by numerals, not the number words.
Would 1001 Riddles be   793.8
                                 ONE

(3) There is no author or editor and the main entry is a title that begins
with a one or two letter word like
      "I" or "In".
Do you use "I" then a space, then the first letter of the next word?
Do you use "I" + the first two letters of the next word?
Do you use "In" and not a third letter due to the space in the title before
the next word?
Do you use "In" + the first letter of the next word in the title?
                        Thanks a lot for your help!  Sandy P. in Philly

"It's got to be the going not the gettin' there that's good." Harry Chapin
in song "Take the Greyhound"
"But then, you could go both ways!"  Scarecrow in movie "The Wizard of Oz"

Sandy Pomerantz, Librarian
Central East Middle School
236 E. Wyoming Ave.
Phila., PA 19120