Dear LM_Net members,
Happy New Year to you from a former LMC Director (13 years).  I would like
to share this NASA QUEST invitation with YOU!

Have you had a chance to visit NASA Quest's Learning Technologies
Channel web site http://quest.arc.nasa.gov/ltc/ or participate in
the diverse offerings yet? Start the New Year out right by taking
advantage of these free educational resources!

The primary focus of the LTC is to broaden the uses of the Internet
to include in-service teacher training and bring new Internet
experiences into the classroom.

NASA Quest's LTC (Learning Technologies Channel) has a series
of special events on the calendar for January.  You can check
the latest scoop by visiting the LTC schedule of event web
pages at:  http//quest.arc.nasa.gov/ltc/schedule.html

Here's a brief description of what is coming up...

Sunday, January 3:  Mars Launch Online
10:00 am - 12:21 pm Pacific / (2:00 pm - 3:21 pm Eastern)
Join us for a rocket launch which will send spacecraft to
explore Mars. Video from the launch site will be combined with
interactive audio commentary from NASA experts.
For more info:
 http://quest.arc.nasa.gov/ltc/sso/mars-launch.html

Tuesday, January 12: Vice President's Skill Summit
10:00 am - 11:00 am Pacific / (1:00 pm - 2:00 pm Eastern)
Join us for this forum of community and business leaders as
they discuss education challenges and life-long learning.
To learn more about event:
http://quest.arc.nasa.gov/ltc/stm/skills.html

Thursday, January 14 (This Date Is Entire - To be
confirmed the first week in January.):

The Astrobiology Series
10:00 am - 11:00 am Pacific / (1:00 pm - 2:00 pm Eastern)
Join us for this exciting weekly series which will explore
our universe in a new way. The series will focus on six important
questions dealing with life and the universe.
To learn more about series:
http://quest.arc.nasa.gov/ltc/astrobio/index.html

Tuesday, January 19 1998  Introduction to Aerodynamics and
FoilSim 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm Pacific (3:00 pm - 5:00 pm Eastern)
Join us for this lecture on Aerodynamics and a demonstration of
FoilSim, a software simulation program developed at ASA's Lewis
Research Center.
For more info: http://quest.arc.nasa.gov/ltc/lewis/foilsim/99.html

Tuesday, January 19 1998
U.S. Department of Education, Special Satellite Meeting
5:00 pm - 6:00 pm Pacific (8:00 pm - 9:00 pm Eastern)
This month's topic: "Learning Together: Diverse Schools Building
One America".  For more info:
http://quest.arc.nasa.gov/ltc/stm/index.html

Wednesday, January 20:
Tour of the International Space Station Training and Mockup Facility
10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. Pacific (1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. Eastern)
We will host this event every third Wednesday of every month.
You are invited to join our tour guide at Johnson Space Center
(JSC) in Houston, Texas. You will be able to ask your questions
during the tour and have them answered during the event. If you
are not able to join us this month, we hope you an make next month's
tour.   For more info:
http://quest.arc.nasa.gov/ltc/sto/tours/index.html

NASA Quest is also the home of excellent educational projects including
Space Team Online, Aero Design Team Online, Women of NASA, Mars Team Online,
and Space Scientists Online.  See http://quest.arc.nasa.gov/ and visit the
online interactive projects.

In April 1999, NASA will be sending its first woman Shuttle commander,
Eileen Collins, into space. That seemed an opportune time to join with
Women of NASA (another Questproject) to bring you a special focus on
women who are pioneers in their fields. We're calling it Female Frontiers
and the soon to open website is
developing at:    http://quest.arc.nasa.gov/space/frontiers

It's not too early to set a bookmark at that site. We are busily preparing
profiles of "frontiers women" and assembling curriculum materials to
support this feature project. Special focus chats with these outstanding
women will begin in January. A calendar of events will appear on site within
the next couple of days.

Please feel free to share this information with interested educators!

Jan Wee, NASA Quest Teacher Consultant