Friends,

I'm hoping that someone out there has an effective solution(s) for what I
am about to describe:

I work in a school of 2,400 students.  One of my major pet peeves is when
students click the Close Box in the upper left-hand corner of the Netscape
window when they are finished using one of our 18 Internet stations, all
of which are Macs.  Most students think that clicking the Close Box
actually "Quits" the application (but of course on a Mac one needs to
click the "File" menu and select "Quit" in order to fully "Quit" the
application).  Then when another student walks up to the machine and
double-clicks the Netscape icon, he/she will raise a hand, call me over,
and complain that Netscape isn't working.

On an average day, I deal directly with this annoyance about 10 times --
no fooling.  I'm tired of telling students, "Click 'File' and then 'New
Web Browser'," etc. . .

What do you folks do to proactively minimize this problem?  What solutions
can you think of?

SOLUTIONS I HAVE THOUGHT OF:

* If possible, run some sort of AppleScript which does the following:
Whenever a user clicks the Close Box, the window will not close.
Instead, a little window will immediately pop up saying something like
"Click 'File' and then 'Quit' when done using Netscape."  The little
window would have an "OK" button to click.  Then the user would know how
to correctly "Quit" Netscape.  If the user doesn't bother, no problem.
At least the program and window are still open for the next person.
NOTE: I know nothing about AppleScript creation.  Would there happen to be
a script like this that I can download from the Internet?

* Small, laminated sign taped to the monitor saying something like, "When
done using Netscape, click 'File' and then 'Quit'."  The sign would
include a small screen shot of the "File ==> Quit" procedure.

* Making the above sign into a prominent Mac Desktop image

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated!  I will post a HIT.

Gabe :-)
GABE GANCARZ, Assistant Librarian
Glenbard East High School
Lombard, IL
gancarz@alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Mac G3/OS 8.5, Netscape 4.5/Netscape Mail