The article which says:  eligible to receive a
>top-quality, hand-picked children's book every month --
In the completed article I believe they mentioned that most of the books
are "Golden books" -- I'm not dogging the quality of those books; In fact
there are some mighty fine ones but isn't it interesting that they are the
"top-quality, hand-picked books"  --
I think what Dolly Parton is doing is absolutely WONDERFUL and if the
"books" were comic books, handmade books by other students, Golden books,
newspapers, or books by Jan Brett, Eric Kimmel, Jacqueline Briggs Martin or
whatever -- put that reading material in the hands of parents and children.
Then build libraries and library users.
The time spent reading is probably the most important minutes spent every
single day.
Hats off to Dolly and to all those who recognize the importance of starting
early and in building families of readers.  It is those families who will
comprise cities of readers, counties of readers, states of readers, and
finally we may have a nation of readers.
Cheers,
Sharron

At 08:58 PM -0800 1/4/99, Carlton Martz wrote:
>I came across this news item over the holidays and thought the group would
>be interested.  Carl Martz, Librarian, Yucaipa H. S., Yucaipa, CA
>
>"Dolly Parton gives 5,200 kids a book a month.  Every one of the 5,200
>children in Doly Parton's native Sevier County are eligible to receive a
>top-quality, hand-picked children's book every month, from birth until his
>or her fifth birthday, plus a special bookcase to hold the 60 volumes.
>These books are being given to the children free by the nonprofit Dollywood
>Foundation.  Since the program began three years ago, some 91,000 books
>have been distributed.  The foundation estimates 70 percent of the
>preschoolers in the county are enrolled.  Last month, the National Council
>of Teachers of English gave the program its 1998 Literacy Award.  The cost
>for a full library, including bookcase, is $350 per child.  The Dollywood
>Foundation, supported principally by Dolly Parton's annual fund-raising
>concerts, has raised more than $200,000 for the program since its inception
>and has committed to spend $1 million over the next five years.  Jerome
>Harste, and Indiana University professor specializing in early childhood
>education, said he wished public figures in every county would follow Dolly
>Parton's example and support public literacy and public education."
>(Editor's Note: The Dollywood Foundation Web site URL is:
>http://www.dollywood.com/foundation/index.html)
>
>Duncan Mansfield, The Associated Press
>"Singer Gives Kids Greatest Gift: Books" as published in The Seattle Times,
>December 27, 1998, A4

Sharron L. McElmeel
mailto:mcelmeel@5thseason.net
Writer/Editor/Consultant