Dear Friends,

I am sorry for the delay in posting this hit.  Vacationitis, I guess.

At any rate, thank you to all lm_netters who took the time to respond.
Here are the suggestions I received.

From Douglas:
Go to this URL:     http://www.ed.gov/pubs/edpubs.html
2.  Do a simple search using the word internet.
3.  The book, Teaching and Learning with Internet-based Resources:
Literacy Leader Fellowship Program Reports; Vol. 3, No. 2, 1997_____ will
appear as the 18th title.
Presents a set of curriculum that integrates internet use into the adult
education classroom. This publication includes basic strategies for any
Internet user; electronic field trips and other travel around the Web; and
lessons that help teachers and learners develop skills while exploring the
Internet. This report is a Literacy Leader Fellowship Project funded by
the National Institute for Literacy (NIFL)

One of the publications available from this site that was popular with the
local PTA was the _Parents' Guide to the Internet_.  This is link # 17 hen
you do the search using the word "internet".

(Note from Susan - I have already ordered both - free of charge, by the
way - and they are good sources.)

                                *****************
from Jill:
two suggestions:
1.The  video tape Internet Searching Skills.  I've used it with 5th
through teachers.  And have a circulating copy.  One caveat:  Eleanor
Mondale talks too fast. You need to warn the viewers and stop every so
often to repeat or emphasize.  Otherwise, it's a great tape. After
watching this, my kids went from getting 53,197 hits to getting 6 usable
ones.

(Note from Susan - I used this video with 8th graders this year - lots of
valuable info here.)

2. The other is the book ......  now I can't call up either the title or
the author. Guess my brain is melting in the Buffalo heat. It's something
like Search Engines on the Web by Gold something or other.  It takes 6 of
the major ones and tells you how and when to use them.  Easily adaptable
into teaching sections.

                        `       ***************
from Mary Alice:

I'd try to avoid a canned training program unless you have one you can
really customize.
We have a lot of our internet instructional materials on our web site:
http://wms.luminet.net/wmstechnology/index.html
and there is an article on my home page (url listed below)  called
"Internet staff Development Continuum"  It's sort of a catalog of internet
offerings that we've offered throughout the years.
Personal home page: http://wms.luminet.net/teachers/manderso.html

                                ************

from (another) Susan:

Have you read any of the related "... for Dummies" books ("Internet for
Dummies", "More Internet for Dummies" and "The Internet for Teachers")?
They are excellent (and hilarious IMHO).  You could make up an outline
just from their table of contents.  And perhaps throw in some of their
funny stories.  Just a suggestion.  Good luck and have fun!

Those are the suggestions.  Thanks again.  I think I should be able to put
together some lessons from any of the above.

Susan

Susan Burstein,
Portland Middle School Library
Portland, CT 06480