(Due to length, this hit is divided into three parts)

I had originally intended to send this hit to individuals... (and have
already sent a few replies, but I have had so many requests...and, as Dan
R. pointed out, it will be nice to have it in the archives for future ALA
meetings...so, here goes (with a disclaimer for spelling and accuracy!
;-)

One more thought: If you suddenly think of another great place, please
share it with the list, not with me individually.  That way, all
interested members will see it, and it will be in the archives, as well.

Susan

Hi, Susan,
Read your note to LM_NET, and thought I'd add my 2 cents worth. First
remember it'll be cool and breezy there in August.  I didn't plan on 50
degree evenings! You must see Coit Tower---the murals inside are great.
Also go to Fisherman's Wharf and order clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
from one of the street vendors.  Can't remember the name of the crooked
street, but it's fun to see.  We walked everywhere while we were there
in 90.
Golden Gate park is impressive and has a museum we liked.  If you do
rent a car, spend an afternoon driving up to Muir Woods to see the giant

trees.  We went to Sacramento one day and to the Napa Valley wineries,
too.  The tours are fun, and we saw the house they used at the start of
Falcon Crest (TV show). I envy you---we hope to get back there some
day!  Have fun.
Sharon
   **************

It has been a long time, but we went to one that locals go to, vs the
tourists--I think the name was Sams, it was downtown, reasonable (for
SF) and good...Another day we ate at Seal Rock restaurant. Seal Rock Inn

was a good hotel in the past..don't know about now.
Mary

    ****************

From: Joyce

If you like fish, go to Scott's on Lombard. If you like good beef, go to

Harris' on VanNess.
Be prepared for New York City-like prices!! Not in the city, but Muir
Woods in Marin Co., north of SF, is one of my favorites.
    ******************

From: Jamie

Must sees:
        1. Golden Gate Park - could take a week just here, but do what
you can.
        2. Aquatic Park, Maritime Museum, Hyde St. Pier,
Cannery,Ghiradelli
Square, Fisherman's Wharf - all within a stroll of each other.
        3. Chinatown (have lunch - dim sum at Kan's)

Places to eat:
        Midori (Japanese food)
        Trader Vic's
        La Pantera
        Stage Delicatessen
        House of Prime Rib (if there are any big eaters in your family)
        Crown Room (Fairmont Hotel on top of Nob Hill - great buffet
lunch)

     *****************

From: Frances

Hi Susan,
I don't live in S.F. but visit my brother and sister-in-law in Berkeley
from time to time. In May, they arranged a dinner at Rose Pistola (in
S.F.), a wonderful restaurant with wood-burning ovens and delicious
Italian food. It seems that you should have a reservation fairly well in

Advance for this place - it's well worth it.
***********************

From: Bob
    You are in for a treat. SF is one of my favorite places. A
restaurant that I would recommend is Scoma's on Fisherman's Wharf.
Always crowded but wonderful seafood. There is so much to see that I
cannot begin to direct you. Be sure to ride a cable car; it is worth the

wait in line. Skip Alcatraz. There are great museums, Golden Gate Park
is special and the museums are there. Of
course, China town is a must. I like to walk from the financial center
on Grand, through China town down to Fisherman's Wharf, but that is a
lot of walking. Bring jackets and have a wonderful time.
******************

From: shatz

You need to get the trolley tickets (if you want to ride) fairly early
in the morning as they sell out fast. Lombardy Street is a must - as per

Riply's Believe it or not - crookedest street in the world! Actually I'd

describe it as curviest! Wear sturdy walking shoes! Fisherman's Wharf
(eat
clam chowder in a bread bowl - yum!), Golden Gate Bridge, China Town.
DRIVING AND PARKING ARE AWFUL!!! Think New York!
     *********************

From: Dorothy
    Must see and do -- ride a cable car, tour MacArthur Park, the
Presidio, and Fisherman's Wharf, take in the view from the top of the
Transamerica Building, lunch on sourdough bread at bakery (forgot the
name) near wharf and save supper for Chinatown.  This was one city I
actually found it worth paying for the tour bus.  My boys and I camped
out at the KOA in Petaluma.
They had a one day tour into town for what I thought was a very
reasonable price.  It provided good overview and a concept of where
places that we wanted to spend more time were directionally.

    *****************

From: Joanne Hi,
    Actually, I would recommend that you take a "city tour" with
Grayline first.   That'll give you a better idea of what you want to see

more of. Also you can combine this with the harbor boat tour.  If no
time for that my list of "musts" for first timers would be : Lombard St.

(the crooked part),
take the cable car  that stops at the top and then walk down the crooked

part.  When you get to the bottom go left down the hill to to
Fisherman's Wharf (touristy but a "must"),  I haven't been to Alcatraz
but will the next time because _everyone_ says it really is a great
tour.   Chinatown is also a must.   You didn't say how long you're going

to be there but if you have time, take the regular ferry to Sausalito.
Or take the Grayline tour that goes to Muir Woods and Sausalito but get
off at Sausalito and take the regular ferry back.  It gives you time to
have lunch and walk around.  No, no one in the family works for Grayline

but we have found that they do do excellent tours for a reasonable price

(esp. if you are a AAA member). Another thing to do is go out to the
Golden Gate Bridge and walk at least partway out onto the bridge (only
if it's not foggy).

    ***************

From: Steve

Without a doubt, go to Alcatraz.  I first went there when it first
opened as a National Park, and it was GREAT!  We had a personal guide in

a group of about 15. Now, it has become SO popular!!  Don't be scared of

the mobs of people who will be joining you on your trip across the Bay
to the Big Rock because the last time we were there (about two years
ago), they were supplying headsets with tape players to tell the story.
This way you can go at your own pace.

Another "sight" that pops to mind (which we did not get to 2 years ago)
is the Trolley museum.  It's interesting... and not on the BIG list.

Have a great time in one of my favorite cities!!

Susan Burstein,
Portland Middle School Library
Portland, CT 06480
portland@connix.com   OR burstein@connix.com