From: "Marguerite,

     The list of good restaurants is pretty overwhelming.  If you want a

fairly good meal, good microbrewed beer, and a great view of the ocean,
try
the Beach Chalet. For an interesting Asian experience (Roasted Crab and
Garlic Noodles), try
Thanh Long.  For great tapas and microbrewed beer, try Thirsty Bear.

As for must see attractions, the first which comes to mind is not in SF,

but south of the area on the Monterey peninsula.  It's the Monterey Bay
Aquarium, the best aquarium I've found.  The Monterey area is quite
beautiful, and among the interesting sights there is the Mission in
Carmel.  The chapel, besides being quite lovely, is also the final
resting place of Junipero Serra,
one of the founders of the Mission system in California.  Back in SF, a
bay cruise on a clear day is hard to beat.  For history buffs, go across

the bay and check out the USS Hornet, the aircraft carrier which is
docked at Alameda and has been converted into a museum.   Also check out

the Potomac, FDR's presidential yacht which is berthed at Jack London
Square in Oakland.

***********

You should see Rent while you are here, it is playing this summer.  You
must see the new library, it is fantastic.  Another must see is the
Museum of Modern Art.  You will probably want to do the regular tourist
things, China Town, Cable Cars, you can go from downtown to the Pier,
Coit Tower, and you should go to Sausalito for lunch. You can take a
ferry, the ferry building
itself is interesting, see the Bay, The Golden Gate, and Angel Island on

the way.  There is a great fish and chips place downtown in Sausalito
across the park from the water. You can't miss it . They sell fish and
chips on one side and ice cream on the other.  Best fish and chips I
have ever had since I lived in England. Can't recommend any great
restaurants in The City, I usually go
there to do shopping,  see a show, or go to the Pier, and can't afford
much money for dining out. Tip: The water is cold, and rip tides are
very bad, go to North or Ocean Beach, but stay out of water even if you
happen to hit a rare hot day

    *****************

From: Christine

There is one restaurant you should go to, The Cliff House. The view is
fantastic, the food outstanding.  Expensive, but a landmark in The City.

   ******************

From: Mary...

It has been a long time, but we went to one that locals go to, vs the
tourists--I think the name was Sams, it was downtown, reasonable (for
SF) and good...Another day we ate at Seal Rock restaurant. Seal Rock Inn

was a good hotel in the past..don't know about now.
  ***************

From: Peggy

Susan,
I'm so jealous- I grew up in the bay area, so your request for info.
brought back a flood of memories. In high school we used to go over on a

Friday night and check out the hotels that used to be rich people's
mansions. My family used to go to an Armenian restaurant where they
served
rose petal jam and communion bread as an appetizer .If you love the out
of doors, the Redwood forest just 40 minutes up the road is a must.
Walking the Golden Gate is incredible. Macy's is a great place to shop.
Fisherman's Wharf and Ghirardelli (not sp. right) Square, Japanese
Cultural Center, riding a trolley-- I could go on and on!Have fun and
eat some Fisherman's Wharf bread. The Armenian rest. is called Omar
Kayan's I think..

From: Christine

There is one restaurant you should go to, The Cliff House. The view is
fantastic, the food outstanding.  Expensive, but a landmark in The City.

Susan Burstein,
Portland Middle School Library
Portland, CT 06480
portland@connix.com   OR burstein@connix.com