I consider three kinds of professional reading.
    1. Professional journals and literature.  I always scan them when
they come in and either tear out or photo copy interesting articles.
That way just the article goes on the TBA pile as opposed to the
whole journal.  Then when I have time I whittle away.  I rarely keep
anything -- while file cabinets are great, you rarely look in them.
The only kind of articles I keep are ones for projects I am
considering in the near future.
      2. Book Reviews.  I get most of these through SLJ.  I look at
them, circle books I am considering and rip out the page and put in
my consideration file for my order typing service in the spring.  If I
ever need an article from a back issue of SLJ, I can get it
elsewhere.
       3. Fiction books for my library.  I read ALL fiction books before
I put them on my shelves so I know the books and can help kids
select them.  If the books get on the shelf, I will never get around to
reading them.  When my big orders come in in September, I take
all fiction books home for the pile in my bedroom (I am single.)
After I read a book, I bring it to school, catalog it and put it on the
shelf.  This is good because the books trickle in all year and kids
are always asking for "what's new."  If a student requests a book
during the year and I run out and purchase then, I will let that
student read it before I do, but I place a reserve on it and take it
next and it goes on the top of the pile at home.

I hope this ramble is useful.
***
Frederick Muller
fmuller@tellurian.net         Halsted Middle School
(973) 383-7440  ext.228       59 Halsted Street
FAX (973) 383-7432             Newton, NJ   07860
-------
My book reviews are compiled at:
http://www.halsted.org/br.htm