Thanks to the five who responded to my inquiry about a good music reference
set.  The information is very helpful.

From:   smiller@mail.donegal.k12.pa.us (Sue Miller)
LOVE IT! (Contemporary Musicians from Gale)The kids at my middle schoool use
them for recreational reading as
well as research.  That series has EVERYONE!

From:   lowe@massed.net (Kathy Lowe)
I love Gale's Contemporary Musicians, but be forewarned that  it's
expensive and volumes are continuously added (over 20 volumes and
counting).  If you can afford it and think it will get sufficient use in
your library to warrant the expense, it's probably the best you can get.
Another good and much less expensive Gale (UXL) title is the 3-vol. set
Parents Aren't Supposed to Like It, all about contemporary popular
musicians and groups, geared for middle-jr. high school kids.

From:   buflib@yahoo.com (Jill Brown)
I just recently purchased Your Parents Aren't Supposed
to Like It from Gale.  Recommended by my music
teacher.  The adjacent high school library had a copy
and he had used it with our middle school kids.  I've
found them using it not only for research projects,
but just for browsing.

From:   NinaLevine@webtv.net (Nina Levine)
I use the Gale product with my middle school students.  They find it
useful and a good one-stop source if the artist is included in the set.
I also like the UXL (also Gale Group) product called Parents Aren't
Supposed to Like It.  This is a slightly lower reading level consistent
with UXL's target group of middle school students.  It seems to have
many of the groups/artists not in Contemporary Musicians.

From:   Allworl
My husband and I used to own a record store.  Our choice was the "All Music
Guide."  It is a huge paperback that is organized by genre, then
alphabetically by  artist or group.  Histories of the genre and its
sub-genres are helpful.  It includes short but helpful biographies of the
artists and groups and their notable releases.  I wish I could give you the
publisher, but I can't find our book!  E-mail me if you have trouble locating
it and I'll look further.
Julie Holley
Kirkwood High School
St. Louis, MO