Dana Johnson, Teacher (Soon-to-be-LIbrarian)
Atkinson Elementary, Houston, TX
danaelizabeth@hotmail.com

Thanks to all who contributed!  You all came through (as always) and the
answers were wonderful.  I did my presentation yesterday and quite a few
people were impressed and going back to share it with their staff.
                                       Thanks again,
                                       Dana Johnson
5. More students succeed (the goal is to make an A)
4. Both teacher and library staff can demand respect because they look like
they have their act together.
3. The students are able to use the information creatively, rather than just
reciting information back to the
teacher.
2. The research process is made FUN!
and the Number One reason Teachers and Librarians should collaborate
Both the teacher and librarian will get a good evaluation and have a
continuing job!
1.  It helps assure that the library program curriculum related
2.  It fulfills our role as a teacher, which is what we are
3.  It helps us to better know the needs of our teachers
4.  It helps our teachers get to know us and their library better
5.  Provides for better use of student/class time in the library
6.  Assures that materials needed for the assignment are available
My list would be simple"
1.student achievement
2.student achievement
3.student achievement
4.student acheivement
4.student achievement
The top reason has to be because it is better for the students.  After
that everything else is frosting on the cake.
1.  To enchance, enrich, & promote the present curriculum!
2.  To provide info literacy skills at point of need (not in isolation).
3.  To provide enrichment materials for teachers to use in their room in a
meaningful way (Not pulling books related to a topic sent to you on a slip
of paper....Their lessons will be enhanced when you two have collaborated
and you know what he/she expects from the students.  There may be some
little known items related to a topic that you might not think to provide
for the teacher unless you two have discussed and/or developed the teaching
concept together).
4.  To promote team-work  (Modeling for students--it impresses them when you
know what's happening in their room and are adding to that in a meaningful
way!  They see you and their teacher as a team)
5.  To establish expectations for students from both parties involved.