My original message:
>Please help my girlfriend. Her school has adopted a curriculum called
>Integrated Thematic Instruction, developed by Susan Kovalik and
>associates.  One component involves the use of "Lifelong Guidelines" and
>"Lifeskills".  My friend is looking for an book that illustrates each
>guideline and skill. I think one of the LM_NET members has a list like
>this on a webpage, but I don't have it noted anywhere. If you can help
>with the web site, or an individual title, that would be great.
>
>Her list so far:
>
>Lifelong Guidelines:
>Trustworthiness
>Truthfulness
>Active Listening (listening with your ears, eyes, and heart)
>No put-downs
>Personal best
>Respect
>
>Lifeskills:
>Integrity - _A Birthday for Frances_ or _Why Mosquitos Buzz in People's
>Ears_
>Initiative - _The Little Red Hen_
>Flexibility - _Stellaluna_
>Perseverance - _The Little Engine That Could_ or _Mike Mulligan and His
>Steam
>Shovel_
>Organization
>Sense of Humor
>Effort - _Leo the Late Bloomer_
>Common Sense - _The Tale of Peter Rabbit_ or _Amelia Bedelia_
>Problem Solving -
>Responsibility - _The Cat in the Hat_
>Patience - _The Carrot Seed_
>Friendship - _Will I Have A Friend?_
>Curiousity - _Curious George_
>Cooperation - _Swimmy_ or _Another Mouse to Feed_ (by Krauss)
>Caring - _Wilford Gordon McDonald Partridge_
>Courage - _Madeline's Rescue_ ?? - not sure about this one
>Sportsmanship - _The Story About Ping_
>Pride
>*************
> Perserverance--Uncle Jed's Barbershop or The Hero of Bremen
> Effort--The Hero of Bremen
> Problem Solving--Tops and Bottoms or The Real McCoy or A Weave of Words
*****************************
Personal Best -- Amazing Grace by Mary Hoffman
Problem Solving -- Bitter Bananas by Isaac Oleleyn
Truthfulness -- This for That: A Tonga Tale retold by Verna Aardema
*****************************
> Here are some web sites which have values bibliographies.  Hope they
> help.
>
> http://www.kyrene.k12.az.us/schools/mirada/READLST.HTM
>
> http://www.usoe.k12.ut.us/curr/char_ed/resource/biblio.html
> http://www.usoe.k12.ut.us/curr/char_ed/resource/biblio1.html
>
> http://www.ed.gov/pubs/parents/Behavior/pt6.html
>
> http://falcon.jmu.edu/~ramseyil/moral.htm
>
> http://www.ci.eugene.or.us/Library/staffref/selfish.htm
*************************
Two good problem solving books are "Rude Giants" by Audrey Wood and
"Miss Nelson is Missing."  Also any of the Arthur books by Marc Brown
would cover this area.

"Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day" would be a
good book on sense of humor (since Alexander doesn't seem to have a good
sense of humor at all).  "The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room" would
be a good book about organization.
************************************

MarshMedia has MulitMedia Kits teaching key concepts in personal
development to meet the needs of your Character-Based Lesson Planning.
The kits are $79.95 each plus 10% shipping & handling. But  we just>
purchased the read-along storybooks for $16.95 each plus 10% shipping &
handling. They recommend them for Grades K-4.
************************************
Here are a couple suggestions I have:
Problem Solving - Heart of a Tiger - It takes place in Africa and is
about a little cat who wants to be like the strongest tiger in the
jungle.  The tiger will not pay attention to him until the day when the
little cat saves his life.  This book may also work for some of the
other themes, like put-downs and personal best.  This book would be too
difficult for younger kids. Courage - The Storm (I think, I'm at home so
I am thinking of these titles off the top of my head) - It's about a
handicapped boy in a wheelchair who shows great courage and bravery
during a tornado.
***********************************
Lifelong Guidelines:
> >Trustworthiness - Down the Road
> >Truthfulness - Sam, Bangs, and Moonshine
> >Active Listening - Tikki, Tikki, Tembo
> >No put-downs -
> >Personal best - Daniel's Duck
> >Respect
>
> >Lifeskills:
> >Integrity -
> >Initiative -
> >Flexibility - Don't Fidget a Feather; Chester's Way
> >Perseverance - Trapped in the Ice (picture book about Shackleton in
> >Antarctica)
> >Organization -
> >Sense of Humor -
> >Effort - Brave Irene
> >Common Sense - Deputy Dan books (Like Amelia Bedelia, but in the Old West)
> >Problem Solving - Summer Wheels
> >Responsibility -
> >Patience -
> >Friendship - Clancy's Coat
> >Curiousity - Peter Rabbit
> >Cooperation - The Three Little Pigs; Smoky Night
> >Caring - Now One Foot, Now the Other
> >Courage - Bears on Hemlock Mountain
> >Sportsmanship -
> >Pride -

********************************
Capstone Press- Bridstone books has a new series Character Education,
book titles include:  Caring, Consideration, Friendliness, Honesty,
Peacefulness, Respect, Responsibility, and Tolerance---Reading level 1-2
and interest level K-3
**********************************
I posted a bibliography on some of those items a few years ago.
Unfortunately, I no longer have the item but you should be able to
locate if you go to the LM_NET archives and either look up my name or
the word "character".
 Vicki Asper
**********************************
Tthere is a series of so so biographies of American for about 3rd
grade.  The value of or something like that.  Each book represents a
virtue such as the ones you mention.  E.g.  George Washington--truth.
They are from value Communications in LaJolla Ca.  They are from the
late 70's so I don't know if they are in print still.  One about
Margaret mead is called _The value of understanding_ by Spencer Johnson.

Karen DeFrank
Bullock Elementary School
Glassboro, NJ  08028
defrank@voicenet.com