Dianne Anderson wrote:

> This is not a library question so delete now if you don't have time.

So why come to LM-Net with it?

> I am trying to convince my school board that our Elementary Faculty will be
>better teachers if they have 1 >hour of planning per day.  They now get 3.75 hours
>per week most of the time.  Does anybody know of any >research that supports this
>statement?  I have searched ERIC and a Infotrac.

And just where would some of the extra time come from, a fixed schedule
with 2 library times per week?  There is plenty of research to support
utilizing the library on a need, rather than fixed basis.  Increasing
the amount of time the library schedule is fixed will not lead to higher
achievement.

> I am president of the the local association and would like to help them
> with this problem.  They are given planning for 2 trips to pe per week,
> 1 trip to library, and 2 to music.  all 30-45 minutes each.

My experience is that each level of the union has only the concerns of
the classroom teachers in mind.  For a lack of voting power, all other
members of the barganing unit get left with the crumbs or get stuck with
worsened positions as a result of the union trying to placate the
majority.

Bob Koreis
Teacher Librarian
Meeker Elementary