Dianne Anderson wrote:

> This is not a library question so delete now if you don't have time.

That's okay, Dianne, sometime we get off from library stuff.
And it is a school question. No need to apologize.

> I am trying to convince my school board that our Elementary Faculty will be
>better teachers if they have 1 hour of planning per day.  They now get 3.75 hours
>per week most of the time.  Does anybody know of any research that supports this
>statement?  I have searched ERIC and a Infotrac. I am president of the the local
>association and would like to help them with this problem.  They are given
>planning for 2 trips to pe per week, 1 trip to library, and 2 to music,all 30-45
>minutes each.

You don't say if you are NEA or AFT.  A call to your county, state,or
national organization might help you.  You may want to call some
librarians in districts near you, too, to ask how planning time is set
up in their buildings.   You said your teachers only get two free
periods - one for library and one for music.  Our school also has art,
gym, and problem solving. We will be starting a foreign language class
also, but the classsroom teacher has to stay with the class.   Unless
you have these extra specials, I'm not sure how you will find extra time
for the classroom teachers. (Just as a side note - in the state of New
Jersey Phy Ed is mandated by the state - not reading, or math, but Phys
Ed!)

Our current contract (for our k-12 district) guarantees each teacher 100
minutes of planning time a week.  This is divided up as each principal
sees fit.  The high school currently is on a block schedule, so each
teacher there gets an 85 minute free block each day, which of course
make the elementary teachers with their 35-minutes-a-day-free period
grit their teeth.

Hope this helps you.  I couldn't find your original question, so I had
to post it to the entire group.

Karen DeFrank
Dorothy L. Bullock Elementary School
Glassboro, NJ  08028