Hello,

Thank you so much for all the replies I received about buying a circulation
desk.  Each has been very helpful.  I am posting several responses that I
received (without sender's names...I was unsure if I should post those.)  I
noticed many people suggested contacting a local carpenter to make desks
(much cheaper for them).

Karii Harrison
d_karii@hotmail.com
LMS, Ritch Elem.
Hiram, GA

www.libertynet.org/lion/facilities.html
I also know of two other companies that are not listed on this site.  They
are Georgia Chair in Gainesville, Georgia and Blanton and Moore in North
Carolina.

If your school district's maintenance department has anybody skilled in
carpentry, you could get a beautiful circ. desk for a fraction of the cost
of buying from one of the regular library vendors.

I would suggest that you speak with the business manager in your school
district (or perhaps your principal) and find the names of local school
furniture dealers. Most full-line school furniture dealers sell library
furniture as well as classroom furniture, cafeteria furniture, etc. You will
surely be able to find a knowledgable dealer/salesperson who can help you
directly with your needs and assist you with design and budgeting. The
catalogs you mentioned may also have knowledgable salespeople who can assist
you, but, in general, catalog companies are used to selling supplies, not
furniture, and their salespeoples knowledge of furniture is somewhat
limited. Best of luck.

I also received the following names of companies I should check with:
Library Bureau, Gaylord, Vernon Library Co., and Bretford.