Dear All,
Thanks for your patience while I compiled my first hit.  These are
suggestions for items to be included in my one evening talk to future
librarians.  And thanks to everyone who responded.  This was fascinating for
me and I hope enjoyable for you!

Please remind yor students that we don't grade the kis (usually) and don't
deal with them daily like their teachers.  That makes it easier for us to be
nice to them!

Please feel free to use the following ideas but Peter M. and I agreed to ask
all not to repost my company name as it is and advertisement and all I
really wanted to do was stay intouch with all of you and share ideas with
the librarians here in Phx.. so do send me back your findings.. I am a
library consultant for a large book company that supplies books to schools
and school libraries here in Phoenix, AZ....
    1. Plan your day, your month, your year - one minute at a time because
that is all you will have to work on a project... if you can use 10 min a
day to gain progress on any project you will complete it someday.....there
is never enough time.

    2. You know your budget, the accountant knows your budget, no one knows
for sure... In many situations only the packing slip makes it to you in your
boxes.... the billing often goes to the district office or the school sect.
and you have to chase down a copy of the final billing... so keep a close
watch on it...

    3. Each time a teacher asks for a topic selection of books make a copy
of their checkout list for future reference.. they will ask for the books
again next year and will not remember what they checked out before... this
make you "amazing librarian" in their eyes and it only takes a second to
file it away.. this also helps with teachers who may not be bakc next year
or retire.. the new teacher will apreciate what lists you have... I would
speak to the principal at the end of each month and ask for the lesson plan
schemes for the next month ... then I would let the teachers know I had a
selection of books ready for their topic... along with " if you let me know
what you need two weeks in advance I can find more then if you ask me the
day you are going to teach the topic"

    4. selection is easier when you know what the curriculum areas are so
get on the selection team for new textbooks... and do get a supplemental
materials budget for curriculum support materials in the library that go
with what ever text book is chosen. Often this is done after the fact and
the comment is " the library has nothing in it" ...

    5. Proactive is the key... if you know what is happening you can stay on
top of the needs...

    6. Your janitor should be your best friend... they help you weed...(they
will remember when the books were delivered 25 yrs ago... and where the
little parts to the AV cart are... etc... also they will appreciate the fact
that you are the first person in the building and the last one to leave each
day... So you are sometimes thought of as part of their team... having
cookies and coffee ready helps too....

    There is so much more ... I could go on forever...

Nancy Westendorf, Librarian
Community School 14
Rochester, NY  14605
NSpringWes@aol.com