1.  how to wrestle with the copy machine when it jams & why toner only
spills when you are wearing something nice

2.  what to do when a fight breaks out in the library.

Good Luck on your presentation

Classroom management. Why do ten year olds totally lose control of themselves
when they come to the library.

Collaboration- yes it is the librarians job to initiate and follow up on
collaborative  projects with classroom (core) teachers=

I didn't learn about dealing with kids from low income homes who loose a
book the first week of school and don't have the money to pay for it. They
probably need books more than the more affluent kids in the building, yet
they have a hard time keeping track of them and paying for the lost ones.

Just make sure you have a policy and you stick by it...even for those kids
who you feel bad for.

As embarrassed as I am to admit it, I was totally UNprepared to deal with
the mechanical problems that we are expected to handle !  I am not
mechanically minded (I can turn on a light switch) and I live in constant
fear of someone's overhead breaking down or a VCR going on the blink. I am
brave in the face of book challenges, free speech, unruly children, and an
unrelenting schedule, but a broken piece of equipment gives me nightmares.>

Practical cataloguing for your local population (aka - local subject
  headings and unusual cross-references).
How to handle a budget.
Making the most of limited resources.
Dealing with aides and volunteers.
How to decide when to repair vs. when to replace damaged books.
Handling reference services when an entire class all wants
  your help at the same time.
What to do when a teacher assigns the same topic to all of
  the kids in all of his classes.
Same as above and they didn't tell you before the 1st few
  kids took out all the books on the topic.
Dealing with discipline.
How to choose and operate dehumidifiers.
Basic computer maintenance from clearing paper jams to
  cleaning viruses to replacing RAM.
Selection policies and selection reality - choosing books
  on a limited budget, from limited sources.
The unusual patron. (You know the ones I mean, though
  they're more of a concern at public than school settings.)
Dealing with the administration.
What to do about gum in the carpet.
Befriending the maintenance staff.
Running a network with no training.
Discount services are your friends.
Working with local bookstores.
Basic computer maintenance!  (Yes, again - it deserves
  mention again).

This list was just off the top of my head.  I'd say that most of
the things I deal with on a day-to-day basis were *not* a part
of any curriculum in school, or were just mentioned in passing.

All of the _practical things about working in a library I learned
from the chief librarian at the small public library where I had
my first job out of school.  All those fancy courses about
databases and cataloguing didn't say anything about dealing
with, say, the folks from the local psych center on their free
afternoon pass, or about small children wetting themselves
during storytime, or about teenagers who want to neck in
the stacks.  Or, for that matter, as you said, covering books.

Gotta run - good luck with your talk! (Hey, this needs to be
a whole curriculum in "practical librarianship", but a talk is
a start!)

Nancy Westendorf, Librarian
Community School 14
Rochester, NY  14605