Another long response:

Funny this question should arise.  I have used Mitinet/MARC as the
Marc record creation software of choice.  Information Transform,
1-800-854-6272 or 1-800-824-6272 (one is tech support and I don't
remember which) will be able to sell you a copy.  The program creates
full MARC records which can then be imported into your own software.
It also can be used to edit MARC records received for a vendor so
that spelling and content can be checked before one has to spend
endless hours on authority control.  Tell Hank Epstein, Mary Veronica
Amison told you about this.  He'll be highly amused.  We go back a
long way.
As far as copy cataloging without CIP goes, I've learned to rely on
the Library of Congress site.  Search their library and the libraries
listed on their site, and you will be able to print out full MARC
records.
Using Mitinet/MARC, I've been able to teach volunteers how to type in
the information.  Simple.
Mitinet/MARC makes the whole thing a breeze.(read typhoon - we're not
talking short cuts, you are looking at a lengthy process).  Your
other alternative may be to photcopy title and versus pages and add
pagination info and send the info off to OCLC or some other vendor
and pray (also wait).  Or, buy a subscription to Brodart's Precision
One or go to the old volumes of the Book Review Digest and copy out
the entries therein.  You want to know costs?  Well, those change
rapidly, but my take on the subject is it's going to cost - either in
your time or that of your helpers - or your money, or both.
Hope all of this is helpful.
Peg Klinkhammer, Librarian
Assumption High School
445 Chestnut Street