Yet more:

Locating cataloging for new books for which we did not order cataloging from
the book jobber is done through a number of sources.  We own FASTCAT, a
CD-ROM from WLN.   Cataloging may be downloaded from this disk and then
imported into the Winnebago database.  There is an instruction manual for
it, LaserCat User’s Manual.  It is very easy to use, and the cataloging is
very good.  You can get a new disk for about $400 from Winnebago.  I bought
just the one disk when we had to rebuild our entire database, and never
re-ordered it because the cataloging we need to do is manageable, and
available without cost.

Any books with a later copyright than the FastCat disk can usually be found
in MARC format on the Blue Skyways website:
http://skyways.lib.ks.us/
Under the category LIBRARIES is the section entitled Kansas Library Catalog.
Clicking on this brings you to the search screen,
http://www.autographics.com/cgipac/mmx/ksuc

Items which match can then be viewed in MARC format, and printed out.  Since
this is a state-wide union catalog, there is no real authority and
duplication control, and there are many inaccuracies.  I print this
cataloging out, then we change whatever we need .  If nothing is found in
the Kansas database, you can select the option of viewing other databases,
Texas and Oklahoma.  Texas is often quite good, especially the items from
the Dallas School District.

The best site, which I just found , is also a Library of Congress site,
which is very complete, and can be searched by ISBN number as well as many
other ways.  It is found at:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/resdev/ess/
It is an experimental site, but allows you to copy MARC records.

We use the Follett Unison system and our district purchases the Alliance
Plus MARC database.  My aid usually can find the record for most donated
books that we receive.  If not the exact record, one close enough that she
can modify it for the book we have.

ZMARC and BookWhere work wonders with our Athena system.

I'd never let an aide do this work unless they had paraprofessional status
(had taken library tech services courses, etc.). I download records from the
L of Congress web site if I have time, or use local/state catalog databases
available online; I use recycled paper from the copy machine bin, and that's
the best I can do. Some books just aren't worth having/doing, and I am very
selective. (also, Bookwhere is used by lots of
libraries around here, but they have extensive collections,etc.)

[...]

   I highly recommend Marcive: phone 800-531-7678, address P.O. Box
47508 San Antonio TX 78265-7508.  Since you obviously have email you can
search on Marcive Web Select to find your titles, then submit the
request electronically and the NEXT day you can download the MARC
records!  It is very inexpensive and receiving the records the next day
is wonderful.  I have been using them for 3 years and have ALWAYS found
the records waiting for me to download the next day.  They do not have
everything but I get a large percent of hits.  If the title is not
available you can enter your own cataloging but I do not do that--if I
am going to enter my own, I just do that directly into my system.  When
you see the hits it will tell you if it is from the Library of Congress
or Professional Media Services, etc.  I have been extremely happy with
them.  They are very cooperative and friendly if you need to call with
questions and you can actually talk to a real person not a machine!

I've had good luck using MARCIVE.  You can send them LC numbers or ISBNs or
you can arrange to search their data base from their website and they will
send you the records via floppy or from their website.  Their records are
quite good.
Call 1-800-531-7678.

This situation can be a nightmare!  Here's what I did in the same
situation:

1) I accessed our state library catalog, did a search for each
individual book, printed out the local holding that best suited how I
wanted to catalog the title in our library (different libraries
sometimes assign different Dewey numbers based on their collections)
2)  Highlighted the info pertinent to cataloging (call number, pub.
info, subject listings, etc.) and placed the printout inside the book
3) When I had a stack of these ready, I trained an aide to input the
information in our Winnebago system.  This can be done on a separate
machine and downloaded to your server at a later date.

I'm sure there are quicker ways to do this, but it allowed me to do some
searching for CIP info at home at night and worked for us.

MARC records are available from Marcive http:www.marcive.com or
1800-531-7678. They are great--that's where I get all my records.

.  I use MLS EZcat all the time
and it is wonderful.  We have found that other than the Library of
Congress you can use the Harrington Consortium and you will find just
about any book.

By now you may have heard about Precision 1, a cd-rom product from Brodart.
It contains over 1,000,000 records for books you are likely to encounter.
Costs around 500.00 for a one year, quarterly subscription.  Well worth it
if
you can share costs with another school or schools who will be in same
situation.

My library uses Follett Unison and purchased the Alliance archive disks.  I
use those for the MARC records, and create brief records for those I can't
find.  I plan to try Mackin as a source for the records I don't have because
of the recommendations I've read on the listserve.

Thanks again to all,

Peg Klinkhammer, Librarian
Assumption High School
445 Chestnut Street