Thanks to all how replied.  Most suggest checking out either Matt
Christopher or Bruce Brooks.  Here are all the suggestions.

Check Matt Christopher, author of many, many sports-themed books for kids
from 1st grade up to middle school. I believe he wrote a book called The
Hockey Machine.

Our kids are loving the Lightning on Ice series by Brouwer as well as the
Bruce Brooks hockey books (Wolfbay Wings series).

How about "The Chicken Doesn't Skate"?  Not 100% hockey, but I think it
shows how obsessed hockey fans can get! Plus, it is an excellent book.

Bob--There is the relatively new Wolfbay Wings series about boys playing
hockey written by the well known author Bruce Brooks and published by
HarperTrophy.  They are in paperback. ( Or did you want a readaloud for
elementary school age?)

Matt Christopher has a book called Face Off.

Try Matt Christopher.. he writes a lot of sports fiction and there is a
series on Hockey..

bob, how about the series of books by brooks called something like "wingbay
....". i am at home and for the life of me can see them on the shelf, but
cannot remember the exact series name.  individual titles include "prince",
"boot" and others.  they are relatively short, new, and appropriate for 4th
gr and up, i'd say.

If it isn't ice hockey you need, try The Goalie by Susan Richard Shreve.

Matt Christopher has written many sports related fiction books for the
middle school audience.  I know that there is one on hockey, but I can't
remember the exact title. I would look it up but all of the books and
computers are packed up for moving the library.

Sigmund Brouwer has written a series called Lightening on ice which are WHL
endorsed about WHL hockey teams in Canada and the United States. They are
published by Word Publishing in Dallas and Vancouver. This is the phone
number 403-309-4580, the fax number is 1-888-309-4590 (only in Canada?) and
the address is Cygnet Publishing Group Inc., 4821-54 Street, Red Deer,
Alberta, T4N 2G5.

At my last Scholastic book fair, I got a book by Bruce Brooks (short
novel).  I think the title is "Wings" and that it maybe part of a series.
I'm at home at the end of a long weekend and can't tell you much more.  If
you need more info I woould be glad to review it at school and get back
with you about it.

Roy MacGregor has a series known as the Screech Owl Series published by
McClelland& Stewart Inc. Canadian Publishers.  This seems to be a very
popular series.  I tried ordering them for my son at Christmas and they
were all out of stock.  My son 3rd grade son read one and enjoyed it.
I have ordered gifts for my son from this company.
http://www.hockeybooks.com/

Matt Christopher as "wingman on Ice" and "Ice Magic".  They are both upper
ementary books

Bob Santella
Lyndonville Elementary School
Lyndonville, NY