Hi all,
Sorry this is so late in coming.  Thank you for all your responses!  My
school email is "sick" again, so if anyone wrote me there and didn't
receive a reply, please accept my apologies.

Here are two contests I found on the net:

Barbara Mandigo Kelly Peace Poetry Awards
http://www.napf.org/peacepoetry.html

The Writing Conference, Inc.
http://www.writingconference.com/contest/index.html

Happy summer to all who have or are about to wrap up their school year.
I have REALLY appreciated all the help I have received here as a first
year LMS and am fired up to jump into next year feeling like I actually
know what I am doing!  (Don't mind having summer vacation first,
though!)

Take care,
Jenny

Jennifer Horn, Librarian
Gorham Elementary School
Gorham, NY 14461
ahorn@earthlink.net

HIT follows:

If you get a copy of the newest "Writer's Market" there are contests for
all sorts of things
in there: poetry, nonfiction, fiction, everything.  I loaned mine to a
friend whose 12 year old is a poet. There were 106
competitions  for her!
===

A great addition to your school's professional library (or reference
shelf) would be the Market Guide for Young Writers by Kathy Henderson.
In my days as a English teacher, my copy got dog-eared quickly by
students looking for authentic opportunities to publish their work.  It
is modeled on the Market Guide for adult writers, and offers great
information about contests and publications including where to send
entries and what sort of writing a certain contest or magazine looks
for. I know that doesn't help you now, but this would be a great book to
have for
future reference.
===

Landmark Publications sponsors a written and Illustrated by... Awards
contest for students.  There are three age categories and the books are
pretty good.  The address is
Landmark Editions, Inc.
1402 Kansas Avenue
Kansas City Missouri 64127
They also have a website but I can't put my finger on it.  I would try
www.landmark.com  The entry date is May 1st each year.
===

Contact your local Scholastic Book Fairs office.  One of their Book Fair
programs
sponsors an annual book creating contest...Kids Are Authors.  The
winners have their story and pictures published, and it is on their next
season's book list. good luck
===

It seems to me that Scholastic Book Fairs had a writing contest going
and the deadline was 2/00.  I think.  Check with
your local Scholastic Book Fair office.