Children's fiction:  The Bears of Blue River, by Charles Major
                        Eerie Indiana  (paperback series)
                        Girl of the Limberlost, by Gene Stratton Porter
(and other Porter titles as well)
Adult Nonfiction:  Grand Dragon: DC Stephenson and the Ku Klux Klan in
Indiana by M. William Lutholz    (I had to do a report on the Klan in
high
school and was astonished to find that they had operated in my home
state!!)
True Crime:  Blood Money, by Clifford Linedecker
Journal:  The Civil War Journal of Billy Davis, by Billy Davis
Fiction:  Haunted Indiana, by Mark Mariman
                The Ordained, by Terence Faherty
               The Magnificent Ambersons, by Booth Tarkington

Also, did you know that the movie "The Christmas Story"  (Ralphie and
the
dreaded BB gun) was filmed in northern Indiana?  Not that we all curse a
blue streak and have hound dogs running loose, but some of my childhood
neighbors were very much like the Bumpases!

This sounds like a neat idea.  Hope you get more responses!
*******************
While traveling through Kansas or any prairie state in the midwest,
please,
please, please read _PrairieErth_ by William Least Heat Moon. It not
only
captures the essense of true midwest rural America, but this book will
surely become one of your favorite all-time reads. MLHM's subject is
Chase
County, in the Flint Hills of east central Kansas. The people he meets--
ranchers who battle floods, an out-of-place feminist restauranteur, and
the
female dude-ranch operators, are all amazing characters who would have
found a home in any novel. Moon spent a year living in Chase County and
captures the spirit of Kansans at their heart. Forget Toto and Dorothy!
This is the real thing!
**************
Great idea!  If you come to Minnesota, try any of Jon Hassler's books -
start with Staggerford if you have not read him yet. Also, Gary Paulsen
books - Harris and Me or the Winter Room would be two good choices.  And
of
course, Little House on the Prarie books took place in our area of SE
Minnesota. Burr Oak, Iowa has Laura Ingalls Wilder days that just took
place the the actor who played Doc Baker in the series was on hand to
sign
autographs.  I was born and raised on a farm in Iowa and anything from
the
Iowa State Press would be good for Iowa.  I think of the book Memories
of a
Former Kid that I enjoyed.  When Chores Were Done talks about Wisconsin
farm life.  How about My Antonia by Willa Cather for Nebraska?

*************
I definitely recommend the Jon Hassler books as a Minnesota setting
novel.

Also recommend Lorna Landvik (Your Oasis on Flame Lake or Patty Jane's
HOuse of Curl)  and Faith Sullivan (Empress of One   or the Cape Ann).

Marion Dane Bauer's YA novel Face to Face is set in Southeast Minnesota.
Caroline Stever's River Rats is set along the Missisippi River in S.E.
Minnesota and is futuristic.

Oryx has a series of books "exploring the XXXXXX states through
Literature."   Each set has an annotated bibliography and teaching
activities for each item.
***********

Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 21:34:13 -0500
From: Mary Ann Bell <mbell@main.com>
Subject: HIT: Read your way through East Coast/New England

Good question!  For those visiting the Adirondack Mountain region in New
York
State, I'd recommend that good ole classic  _An American Tragedy_ by
Theodore
Dreiser.  A great non-fiction compliment to those interested in the
"rest of
the story" would be _Murder in the Adirondacks_ by Brandon Craig.

****************
If someone were coming to visit Buffalo, NY, I would recommend All
Bright
Court by Connie Portor.  Set in Buffalo, it presents a realistic
portrayal of
the experience of an African American family (the Taylors) who move here
from
the South, the husband seeking work in the Steel mill.  They move into a
compny-run housing project which is little more than a warehouse for
non-white workers.  The story follows them as their children are born
and
raised, leaders are assassinated, and the steel industry declines.
Various
story lines of the neighbors who come and go are skillfully weaved in
and out
of the lives of the Taylor's, with profound and far-reaching effects.
The
story ends during our infamous Blizzard of 77.
****************
If you are planning a trip to the Eastern Shore of Maryland, Chesapeake
by James Michner is a must
****************

My nomination for a great book to read before or during a trip:
_Perfect
Storm_ if visiting Gloucester, Cape Ann MA.  It moved me tremendously.
***************
I am enjoying this topic and did reply to Mary Ann directly but since I
haven't seen anything from the Northwest I'll post my contribution to
the
group as well.

I recommend, Snow Falling on Cedars, by David Guterson. The story takes
place on an island in Puget Sound during the early fifties and exposes a
part of history that we are not proud of here - the internment of
Japanese
Americans at home. The book is history and more - a love story - a
mystery
- all beautifully crafted by an author who grew up in Seattle. My copy
was
gathering dust on the shelf when I happened to read an article by David
Guterson in Architectural Digest about Seattle - his father had owned a
business downtown and he was recalling his childhood in the city in a
way
that touched my heart. I went straight to his book and wanted to read
more
from this man.
*************
Hi Ya'll,  Not sure, but I believe it was someone on LM NET that
recommended Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum novels... and I just wanted
to be sure to thank that person!  They are a hoot!!! The latest is *High
Five*.... hot off the press... and as much fun as the others have been.
If I weren't such a dedicated media coordinator, I might like to move to
NJ and be a bounty hunter... Maybe in my next life! :>)
Off the top of my head...I enjoyed Zaroulis's _Call the Darkness Light_
about mid-1800s in New England...mostly MA - includes the mills in
Lowell, the transcendentalists, and the underground railroads etc.