---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 12:57:42 -0500 (EST)
From: Joyce Valenza <jvalenza@mciunix.mciu.k12.pa.us>

Hi Peter,

This one is really just going to be an informal chat.

Information Power: Building Partnerships for Learning

We've been working with our new standards document since September.  How
is it going out there in the field?

Join us on March 10, 1999 at 9 PM EST for an Information Power II "rap
session."

Hosted by...Joyce Valenza and Terry Young, with Mark Williams.

Up for discussion:
How successful have you been in introducing and implementing IPII?
What type of interest are teachers and administrators showing in the
new standards?
Share any ideas or techniques to increase school community awareness of
IP II.
Share any ideas for successful collaboration and instructional strategies.
What have been the major roadblocks in implementing IPII  into your program?
What further support would you expect of your state and/or national
organizations?

To prepare for our session, take a look at your copy of IP II or visit
the Web site at:  http://www.ala.org/aasl/ip_toc.html

Our LM_Live! host organization, AskERIC, now offers a web based chat
client that does not need a plugin. However, you will need a java enabled
browser. Just be sure that you are using at least Netscape3/Internet
Explorer3 or later versions. Check the browser preferences/properties to
make sure that java is enabled.

Here is how to connect to the new Web based interface at the AskERIC Live
website.
  1. Go to http://thread.syr.edu/live
  2. Click on "Chat Now".
  3. Then, at the next screen that appears, click on lm_conf.
  4. Wait for the applet to load (which may take 45-90 seconds.)
  5. Click on the "Connect" button in the upper left corner of the
     java window that appears.
  6. Type in your NickName (This is just for the session, up to you.)
  7. Click ok, and you will be entered into the "#LM_Conf" room.
  8. At the top of the java window, there is an icon which will resize the
     conferencing area, making it much larger. In the right side of the
     conference window, the names of the other participants will be
     listed. At the bottom of the window is an area to type in messages
     to the group. Please wait awhile to see when it is appropriate to
     do so, when announced by the moderator.

If you do not have Netscape3/Internet Explorer3 or later versions, you
can still connect the way we used to using mIRC or Ircle.  The new
parameters are.
        server: thread.syr.edu
        port:   6667

For the "old" non-Web based software, and more information, our LM_NET On
the Web page has a link to LM_Live! and its associated Help materials.
        Location: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/

Joyce Kasman Valenza, Librarian          Springfield Township High School
jvalenza@mciunix.mciu.k12.pa.us          joyce.valenza@phillynews.com
American Memory Fellow:                  Milken National Educator 97/98
Phone: (215) 233-6058                    Fax: (215) 836-5237
Philadelphia Inquirer tech.k12           crossings.phillynews.com/archive.htm
http://gopher.mciu.k12.pa.us/~jvweb
http://mciunix.mciu.k12.pa.us/~spjvweb