I hesitate to send this because I don't want you to think I am
complaining.  I am simply looking for ideas.

One of our teachers is on the NJEA Executive Board.  She is friends with
Reg Weaver, the VP of the NEA.  She arranged or him to come to our
school today.  He couldn't come on the "real" Dr. Seuss birthday due to
tv spots he must tape tomorrow in NYC.

He was wonderful!!!!! In an assembly this afternoon the choir sang
Hooray for Diffendorfer Day, and we had a drawing for Cat Hats.  The Cat
in the Hat showed up, and we presented Mr. Weaver with a plaque.  Mr.
Weaver read "Green Eggs and Ham" to the kids while we showed a filmstrip
of it on a big screen on the stage. Like I said, he was great.  The kids
couldn't take their eyes off of him.

Tonight we had a pajama party for the kids.  The aduls heard Mr. Weaver.
The kids heard Guest Readers reading their favorite stories. The local
grocery store provided refreshments.  Over 400 people showed up.

I faxed professionally written press releases to six television stations
and four newspapers. I called to confirm the faxes had arrived, and to
see if their were any questions.  I confirmed that they understood this
is the Vice President of the NEA - an organization of 90,000 teachers
(ie: a BIG deal).  It was a great opportunity since the "real" Dr. Suess
stuff is on March 2 and we were doing our stuff on March 1. The papers
all said they would send a photographer.

You can probably guess the end of the story.  Not one - NOT ONE - showed
up.
We had a GREAT time.  The kids were SO excited.

Why does the media pass these oppportunities up? And what can I do to
get them here the next time??

Karen DeFrank, LMS and Read Across America Coordinator
Dorothy L. Bullock Elementary SChool
Glassboro, NJ  08028
kdefrank@glassboro.k12.nj.us