Kristie and others:  Wouldn't we love to know!  One of the main reasons
for this phenomenon is that the teachers teaching prospective teachers
aren't telling them to expect us to be helpful, knowledgeable colleagues.
As for the older teachers, they were never told either, and although it
may not apply to any of us, there are many librarians in schools
who are still running warehouses for books.  They may be exceedingly
gifted at purchasing new books, but they don't engage in the day to day,
proactive "get those teachers in here" approach.  Many teachers just don't
know any better, and anything "new" is viewed as a challenge to the way
things have been, and any change is viewed as "more work for me."  At
least once before when this came up, Mike suggested we get our collective
selves in gear and see if we could influence any teacher training programs
local to us--make sure the new teachers intend to collaborate with us!
Offer to "guest lecture" at a teacher education program near you! Let them
know what fabulous resources the SLMS's of the 90's are--we're Y2K
compliant!
Unfortunately I lost my "in" to the program I was closest to, so I haven't
been much help here, but maybe we need to try again, and again, and again.

Maureen S. Irwin          **Any book you have not read is a new book ;)**
Middle School Librarian
Roland Park Country School
Baltimore, MD  21010
irwinm@rpcs.pvt.k12.md.us      or  msirwin@umd5.umd.edu (for listserv)