I hope Scholastic's Reading Counts is as wonderful and "improved" as they are
claiming. Our elementary school has been using Electronic Bookshelf on a Mac
network for about three years, and we have had quite a number of technical
problems that have interfered with the success of the program.
        At one point we were even considering changing to AR, because our middle
school uses it, and they have not had as many problems as we have.  We have
not yet converted from EBS to Reading Counts, and we are hoping that the new
version will be much better:-) However, it is a "new" program and could have
"bugs", too.
        I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but I do want to point out that the
new Reading Counts software may not be the answer to everyone's problems. We
originally chose EBS over AR because of the features that have been mentioned
(30 questions, ability to re-take quizzes,etc.), but our difficulty in getting
the program to run properly and keep adequate records makes us a bit sceptical
of the new software.  Scholastic, please prove us wrong.
        It may depend on what type of computers you are using.  Maybe it is just the
Mac network version that has had so many problems. I would suggest
investigating very thoroughly before committing to changing from AR to Reading
Counts.

Linda Higginbotham
lindahig@tenet.edu
Librarian