HI all.  I am in need of your collective wisdom.

I had no luck with the archives on this question.

We are undergoing a swtichover to a new automation program that will allow
(if we set the flag to do so) patrons to access the internet via the card
catalog by including a URL in one of the cataloging fields.  We have had no
experience with this feature and many of us wonder if this is a good idea
or not.

If you have this capability, can you give some feedback?

Do you allow it?  At all stations or only with a specific student login?

Have you had problems - hardware, software  etc?

Once the student has clicked on the URL, they are now on the internet, are
they now able to surf other places?

Have the benefits outweighed the concerns?

Is this a good way to "select" appropriate sites?

My Personal, philosophical question is; why put an internet link unless it
is a link specifically matched to the particilar item? I don't quite
understand why you would make a link on a record for a book, to an internet
site on the topic of the book when they can practice search skills in
locating that information after locating the book.  Why not create a card
catalog item that is the web site in the first place?

Any feed back would be welcome.  I will make a hit.

Debbie Stafford
Gen. H.H. Arnold High School
Wiesbaden Germany
100332.2074@compuserve.com