Last part:
 I teach art as well as elementary library, and I just
completed a great (and
easy!) project. Take a heavier type white paper (vertical),
and watercolor 5
circles of different colors towards the top. Paint green
lines towards the
bottom center to the circles. Add some more green lines
around and between
the circles. When dry, using a black marker (I use
Sharpies), turn the
circles into flowers, with a center and petals. Add some
lines to define the
stems, and draw some leaf shapes around the other green
lines. This is meant to be very free form and relaxed. Then
trace your hand (include the wrist) on pink paper and cut
out. Fold the fingers and thumb under and glue down, so it
appears the hand is clutching the flower bouquet. Glue down
the wrist at the edge of the paper. This project is taken
off of Picasso's "Friends"
painting (that's not the real name, but the French (or
Spanish?)
translation. Good luck with the ideas, and I'd love to hear
about any other
ideas you may get!
Our 5th graders made the neatest flowers for a volunteer
parent tea and
for mothers day.  Using teasel for the centers and tissue
paper for the
flower part--3 rough circles, shaggy edges--they really look
like poppies.
The vases are beer bottles (oh dear yes) which have been
covered in some
way with tissue paper collage and maybe shellaced over.  I
am going to
have to find out how she did it as this teacher is retiring.

Shrink art is a good quick craft.  Cut out a heart shape -
BIG - for each
student - have them decorate it with colored pencil - then
put in a toaster
oven and shrink it - put a pin back on the back with tacky
glue and you have
a perfect mother's day gift
*************************************
Not much time to get this together so I'd go with either the

traditional "coupon book" (for tasks around the house, hugs,

babysitting siblings, etc) or, possibily better for this
age, a
very well-done prose piece, illustrated with pastel flowers,

rolled and tied with a satin ribbon.

Last year I conducted a craft class at my library for
Mother's Day and it
was very well received.  I demonstrated how to make "Mom and
Me" Plant
Pokes.  I provided a list of items needed in order to make
the craft; as
well as a step-by-step guide for your daughter.

ITEMS NEEDED:

- Large popsicle sticks
- Glue
- Construction paper [colors that reflect skin tones and
make-up]
- Cardboard [5"x 5" pieces]
- Scissors
- Plastic eyes that move [a variety of sizes would be nice]
- Hole punchers
- Yarn [colors that reflect hair colors]

STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE:

1. Have children select a piece of construction paper that
approximately reflects the skin tone of their mother.

2. Glue this piece of construction paper onto a piece of
cardboard and
let dry.

3. Once dried, have the children cut-out a shape that is to
be their
mother's head.

4. Use the hole puncher to punch holes along the hair line;
and have the
children select a color of yarn that most resembles their
mother's hair
and thread that yarn into each hole.  The idea here is to
put hair on the
"poke"--It can be short, braided, long, etc. [whatever the
child wants].

5. Next, have the children select eyes and glue them onto
their
"poke"--Next, have the children cut out shapes of lips and
noses from the
construction paper and have them glue those shapes onto
their "poke".

6. When all is dry, have the children glue a large popsicle
stick onto
the back of their "poke".

When complete, the children are now ready to follow the same
instructions
in making a "poke" that reflects them.

The "pokes" work well in houseplants--The children can
simply stick the
"pokes" into the soil--It makes a great presentation.
 Why not take the poem posted earlier abouts Mother's and
print it on
COnstruction paper and then have the kids draw a portrait of
their mom or
themselves or themselves with mom.  Another idea is to take
a styrofoam
(coffee) cup, turn it upside down and cut a small slit in
the top.  Take a
picture of severaly flowrers andhave the kids color and cut
them out.
Then have the kids glue the flowers on craft sticks (or
popsicle sticks).
Place the sticks in the slit and you have a "vase of
flowers".  The kids
can also color or decorate the cup carefully.
check this site:
http://makingfriends.com/

It has tons of neat crafts that have been pretty easy for a
variety of age
groups.
Linda Smith, Lib
Clinton High School